Prologue Pt 2: Bat and Mouse

That night had ended with the girl screaming for mercy from the Joker, who was furious that she had fled the scene. She remembered that night like no other, the first time she faced off against the famous Batman. The night she had beat him, was another mission, but not to kill. It was to distract the hero from the real crime, which was Joker robbing a bank.

*****ONE YEAR EARLIER*****

The familiar figure of Batman could be seen from where I was perched on a skyscraper in the centre of Gotham City. His cape flew in the wind and I scowled. I had yet to beat him, and  although the first fight when I was seven went well, that was merely because he was going easy on me. He soon realized that I was much more of a threat, and stopped playing around. He'd beaten me many times, always ending up with him trying to take me away. He always told me that he could give me a home, and a family, and every time sent a sliver of hope through my heart. But not enough. Not enough hope to shine through the darkness. I'd grown a lot since my first fight with the Bat. I was physically much stronger, faster, and more agile. I was mentally a genius for a ten year old, and my height wasn't as sad. I was a solid four foot eight, and still growing. My black, curly hair had been sliced off to my shoulders by Joker on an especially bad night. But no matter, it would grow back. Hair was the least of my worries anyways. My eyes were still electric green and full of secrets, though they were impossible to read now. I had more scars than I could count, and more than I cared to pay attention to. My costume had also changed from a simple tank top and leggings to an included half cape that had a hood as well as a custom yellow and purple mask. The Joker said I had to have a 'signature'. I disagreed, I was just here to do my job. I wasn't about to argue though. Everyday I got stronger so I could beat the old man. Every day I trained and fought and returned to the streets ready to win. He'd embarrassed me many times, knocking me out with ease and tying me upside down to get answers. I'd never give them to him; I was stubborn and knew how to recognize an empty threat.

I stared at the figure, which was watching the scene begin to unfold below. Joker and his fellow villainous friends had begun to rob the bank, and just as the Bat seemed about to head down to stop them, I swooped down from where I was hiding on the building and landed right on his shoulders. He grunted and rolled from the ground back up into a defensive position.

"Evening, Batsy." I saluted the man before me with two fingers as he narrowed his eyes.

"You again," He growled. He didn't mind me though, I knew it. He looked out for me, and I scoffed at the idea. I was working harder and harder every day to get him to hate me back, and although I got on his nerves more than he knew, he just wasn't quite there yet.

"Aw. Not happy to see lil ol' me?" I asked in a pouty voice. I had a smart mouth for a ten year old, and knew more profanities than I could count with my fingers and toes. One of the perks of living with villains.

The truth is, I sort of did want to go with the old Bat, but I was scared. I'd never had a real family before, and the thought intimidated me. But Bats didn't know that maybe I wanted to come with him. I didn't even know it. I wouldn't do it, I knew that. I would never in a million years willingly go with him.

One thing was for sure, the more I hung out with the bad guys, the more I realized I wanted to be good. I hated killing, and I hated causing pain upon others. But I had to do it. I was born and molded into the perfect soldier. Batman was right, killing was wrong and I was on the wrong side. But I couldn't go back now. Good wasn't an option when you had a reputation like I did.

Batman growled and we began our usual fight. I was ready to win, just like every other time. Determined, stubborn, and fierce.

I threw a smoke bomb at his feet and jumped around to behind him, kicking his knees in and slugging him across the head. He made no noise and spun around, kicking my chest and sending me backwards a few feet. My hood fell from my head and I didn't bother to put it back on as the fight began again.