Add Insult To Injury

I stared at the apartment for a few seconds too long and shook my head in disbelief.

There's no way.

"Stay here," I said to Robin, turning and making my way to the apartment across the street. The window was new and repaired, and the inside was no longer a children's room, but an all white office with a massive desk that was covered in papers. But I wasn't interested in the papers on the desk, I was interested in the paper that was taped to the outside of the windowsill. My heart dropped and I slowly unstuck it from the surface, feeling the colour drain from my face.

He knew. He knew about the one life I had spared. How? How on earth did the Bat know about this one blip in my timeline? I covered my tracks nicely, Fabian was gone by midnight and no one suspected a thing.

How?

"What is it?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin as Robin's voice sounded from beside me.

"Jesus, Robin, don't sneak up on me like that!" I grabbed my heart and blew air from my nose, pushing past the boy as he looked surprised.

"I'm sorry, did I just scare you?"

"Don't start."

He grinned and put a fake microphone to his mouth.

"This just in, dazzling and intelligent Robin, (Boy Wonder), manages to finally strike fear in the untameable beast that is Fawkes." Robin grinned as we both dropped to the ground, me rolling my eyes in anguish, "It happened on a Wednesday night, the clouds were thick over the city of Gotham, though not as thick as the skull of Hershey Wintston—"

"Okay, I get it. No need to rub it in."

"—who just wasn't ready for the astounding stealth of the rightfully famous and heroic Robin—"

"I will tear your intestines from your throat and use them as a jump rope if you continue this."

"Eye witnesses claim that the event was incredibly entertaining. 'It was hilarious how Fawkes literally jumped in fear when she heard his voice" says bystander Bob Smith—"

"Bob Smith, really?"

"—who had been on the scene of the event when the idiotic girl had been so easily spooked—"

I cut him off by driving my fist into his arm, sending him stumbling slightly to the side.

"Okay! I was done anyway."

*****

"Well this is a nice change of scenery."

"It's a graveyard."

"I was being sarcastic." I took a few steps forward and brushed the hair that had slipped in front of my eyes from the long venture to the outskirts of the city.

It wasn't just any graveyard.

I knew exactly where the clue was, and I was beyond angry.

Bring me to where I nearly killed one of your friends, bring me to the site of the first time we fought, even bring me to the one time in my history I had a falter in my perfect record and spared a life.

But don't bring me to the place that I buried my parents.

I just wanted this thing to be over with anyway. We had already basically knocked Connor and M'gann out of the running, as it would be hard for them to find a clue in that huge of a fog, and Wally and Artemis were hopeless from the start, what with all their constant bickering.