Zero to Hero

In reality, the road trip was long and boring, but I filled every single silence. I commented on the comfort of the back seat, the lack of music. I suggested we played car ride games. I was as annoying as possible until Robin slapped a piece of tape around my mouth.

We reached the Batcave in two hours, at which point I had licked the tape off my face and was talking rapidly about the lack of road signs in Gotham.

The two continued to stare straight ahead at the road, seemingly not fazed by my words, but the strength Batman was using to grip the steering wheel and the slight tension in Robin's jaw gave them away.

They dragged my still immobilized body out of the Batmobile, and I continued to blabber about redecorating the place until Batman cut me off.

"What you did was irresponsible—"

"—I just really think you should add an accent colour—"

"You acted like a child—"

"The giant dinosaur is the only stylish thing in here—"

"This could have gone a lot worse and you know it—"

"I was thinking we could buy a massive chandelier—"

"Hershey you acted like a criminal tonight." Batman said loudly and I stopped talking. I didn't know what to say to that, so yet again I relied on my sarcasm to get me out of the situation.

"Well maybe the only reason I acted like one is because you treat me like one." I crossed my arms and Robin scoffed.

"That's because you are one—"

"You're right," Batman cut across Robin and addressed me. I raised my eyebrows at him along with Robin.

"What?" We both gaped.

"I do treat you like a criminal," Batman repeated, "I have for the last two years and I think it's time we change that."

I didn't bother to pick up my jaw from the floor. I had no response, not even a snarky comment that would earn me a glare.

He was supposed to be disappointed and angry. Every other time I'd tried to escape he looked at me with disgust and shut me back away. Why was this time different?

"Alfred agrees that it's time we give you a better chance to prove that you can change. And the perfect way to do that is give you a spot on the team."

Now I was confused. What was this team? And why did Robin look so against it?

"Wait wait wai—"

"What team?" I interrupted Robin and narrowed my eyes suspiciously.

"The team of young heroes that was recently made—"

"You can't be serious!" Robin cut him off, "You're not actually thinking about her joining that team. She'd ruin it!"

They both continued arguing, or more continued with Robin shouting at Batman and Batman responding calmly.

I zoned out at Batman's words. A team of heroes? He actually wanted me to join a team for heroes?

It was all I ever wanted, but it felt so wrong to me. I'd always wanted to be good, and I thought by agreeing to go with the Bat meant that he would teach me to be good. But all he did was label me as bad and didn't even give me a chance to prove myself. That was the only reason I wanted to escape. I either wanted to become good here in Gotham, or I wanted out.

I had told Alfred all of this, but I made him promise not to tell Bruce. I had told him how I did want to be a hero, but how I knew that Batman would never give me that chance.