All for Nothing

I got out of the truck, rubbing my sore body that had been crashed around. No matter how bad Dick and I looked, the rest of the team was ten times worse. Wally's forehead was bleeding, M'gann was covered in throw up, Connor's shirt was ripped, Aqualad had a black eye, and Artemis's hair had slipped from its tight ponytail. They dragged Fabian out, who had a chipped tooth, and gathered around me, Wally mumbling a repeated apology to the Martian that was covered in his lunch.

"So what's the plan of attack?" Connor asked sceptically, and I realized that they all expected me to lead them.

"The plan is attack," I responded simply, "he won't be expecting us, but that doesn't mean he won't be ready. Wally, I want you to—"

"Sweep the floors?" He asked dully, but I shook my head.

"No, we're doing this together," I stated firmly, and he looked surprised and happy, "I want you and Artemis to take the main entrance. Make noise."

"Make noise?" Artemis asked quizzically, "What happened to the element of surprise?"

"Like I said, the Joker is always ready," I explained, "make a small noise. As if it's an accident, and then I want you to keep to the shadows. Don't go too far in.

"Kaldur and M'gann," I turned to them, "I want you to enter through the back, find the electrical box, and turn on all the lights. He likes to stay hidden, and he's really good at it. This will take away one of his advantages."

They nodded, and I turned to Connor.

"I want you to get to the roof, but don't go in. That's where he'll be headed. Just block off the doorway and make sure he doesn't get out." I take a breath, "If we can trap him, he's outnumbered. He's slippery, but he can't take us all."

"I beg to differ," Fabian said, looking solemnly at me, "you kids are gonna get yourselves killed."

"I won't let that happen," I stated firmly, walking up to the man before me, "If we play our cards right, he won't stand a chance."

"And if we play them wrong?" Aqualad asked, and I gave him a grim look.

"Let's not put that on the table," I answered, then turning to Robin, "I want you with me. I'll let you know the plan on the way."

He nodded, and I tightened my ponytail, looking to the others.

"Expect the unexpected. Stick to the plan. Good luck."

They moved out, and Connor tied Fabian to a street lamp in the lot. It was a quiet area, no other major buildings in site, only smaller, vacant looking apartments. I grabbed Robin's hand and tugged him along around the building to the side, where windows were boarded up. I scanned the first floor, and then the second before finding an opening.

"This way," I said, heading straight for the drain pipe and beginning the climb up. He didn't question it, trailing behind me as I hopped onto the ledge and climbed through the broken window. I was taken back momentarily to a few weeks ago when I barged into my English class this way, but that memory was short-lived the minute we got inside.

It was quiet, and we were in an office-looking room, with stacks of old papers and documents piled around like land mines. We tiptoed around them and headed out the door, peering both ways down the hall before shutting it behind us. The silence was waiting, every second closer to what we were anticipating.

We went left, and all of a sudden there was a crashing noise downstairs.

"You idiot," came the whispering voice of Artemis, "it wasn't supposed to be that loud."

"It's fine," snapped Wally, and Robin gave me a look of worry, but I shook my head with a small smile.

"It's perfect," I said as silence once again ensued. I heard a distant creaking, and stopped, peering into the pitch black.