Best of Both Worlds

As I ventured further down the hallway, making sure I made no noise, I heard a soft sound behind me.

I turned around and pulled out my knife, expecting some guy with a gun to be there.

"Finley?" I whisper shouted, "What are you doing?"

"You can't just go out in the middle of a school shooting, alone," she said and I sighed. I couldn't make her go back to class, but I didn't want her to be with me while I tracked these guys down.

"Okay. Come on. But you have to be quiet. No questions until we're in the clear." I began walking again, keeping my friend between me and the lockers, ensuring her safety before mine. My stupid school shoes were a lot more difficult to be quiet in than the combat boots I was used to, but I would just have to deal with them until I got to the gym.

I had two knives drawn, but so far I hadn't run into anyone. I didn't know how many intruders were roaming the halls freely, but I hadn't heard any gunshots yet, so I assumed that so far nothing had gone south.

It wasn't long before we reached where I needed to be, and I was lucky that the change rooms were unlocked, or I'd have had to make a lot more noise than I was ready to.

Once inside and sure that we were alone, I dropped my stance and rushed over to my gym locker, thankful that there was just enough light from the tiny windows up by the ceiling for me to see the numbers on my lock. I did the combination in three seconds flat and tugged a duffel bag out of the small space.

Out of it I yanked four things: boots, a mask, a utility belt, and a bullet proof vest.

"You keep a bulletproof vest in your gym locker?" Finley questioned as she watched.

"Yeah, why?" I absentmindedly asked while changing into my combat shoes, "You don't keep yours in there?"

"I don't have one."

"That's ridiculous, everyone has a gym locker." I tossed the duffel bag back into the place I kept it and handed the bulletproof vest to Finley.

"Put this on."

"What about you?" She took the vest nonetheless, and I put on my mask and belt.

"I'm armed, you're not. Trust me, you need it more."

She nodded and put on the vest as I made sure my utility belt had everything I needed. Then I tossed her a knife, which she caught surprisingly well before inspecting it idly.

"Keep yourself protected. Don't leave this room."

"What?" She stepped towards me, "You're not going out there alone."

"Finley," I said, "I'll be fine."

"Why? Why will you be fine? You're just the same as me."

No I'm not.

"I'm sorry," I whispered. She looked confused for a second, but I just tossed a pellet from my belt her way, and smoke filled the room.

"Hey, wait!"

I left the change room, barring the door with a janitor's broom that was nearby. She knew better than to pound on the wood. I was thankful.

I was also thankful that I didn't have to wear the uniform shoes any longer, and I made no sound as I wandered the halls. I pulled out my tranquilizer gun and rounded every hallway ready to shoot. The silence was getting unbearable, and I wondered if anyone was really here. I covered the first floor quickly, and moved on to the second. Every classroom door was locked, and no sound came from anywhere. I had to give it to the school for training the kids so well.