The Team

I climbed in the back seat, next to Robin. We were taking one of the many cars of Bruce's, although one that wouldn't catch as much attention as a limo or the Batmobile would. It was silver and sleek, with windows so tinted that you couldn't see the inside from the outside at all. Bruce was in his Batman costume as he drove, and I thought it was a little funny to see the Bat drive such an ordinary car.

I didn't laugh though.

Normally I would be making some snide remark about the boy beside me or the man in front, but I was feeling a little nauseous, and the words never came.

"You nervous?" Robin asked as I wiped my sweaty hands on my pants.

"Nah," I lied easily, "Like I said, I don't need a bunch of sidekicks' approval."

Robin hummed, "I wouldn't blame you for being nervous. I mean you are a criminal after all."

I crossed my arms, "Well they don't know that now do they?"

"Not yet." Robin looked straight ahead, a stupid smirk plastered on his face. His dark hair was ruffled, as if he had spent the last hour with his hands tangled in it. His mask covered most of his face, and for a second I wanted to rip it off just to see what colour his eyes were, but I restrained myself. I may have been rude and dishonest, but if I respected one thing, it was secret identities. Although it was great blackmail to threaten Bruce with, I would never tell anyone that he was Batman unless he did something completely revolting.

"That's enough, Robin," Batman said from the front in his low, gravelly voice.

Robin just crossed his arms, his smirk still prominent against his features. Once again I found myself wishing I was taller than him so that I could look down on him like the loser he was.

The rest of the ride was silent, and I completely zoned out, even as the car stopped.

It's only when I heard Bruce's car door open that I snapped out of my daze and hopped out of the car myself.

We were on a small, quiet street, and I frowned around.

"You know, I'd expect you to have enough funding for at least a tent to hold your headquarters."

"This is just where we zeta tube from," Robin explained. Then, realizing he had spoken to me normally, added as an afterthought, "idiot."

I watched as Batman walked into a telephone box and gestured for us to join.

"Don't you think it'll be a bit snug with all of us in there?"

He didn't respond, so I was forced to squeeze myself inside as the man began pressing a bunch of old looking buttons.

I tried to figure out what coding was used for this machinery, but I hardly had time to breathe before everything turned white and I had to close my eyes until the light was gone.

A robotic lady voice recited Batman and Robin's names along with an apparent 'visitor.'

I expected to be back in the skimpy street, but instead was highly taken aback by the change of scenery.

We were in a room quite like the Batcave, except lighter and with less technology. Plus no giant dinosaur. I missed José already.

I wiped my palms yet again on the thighs of my black pants, then shoved them into the pockets of my navy hoodie. Blowing a strand of dark, wavy hair from my eyes, I stepped farther into the room, still expecting it to melt away and reveal the dank alley from before.

I stood next to the entrance for a bit longer than necessary, criticizing the room in my head. It looked to be just for people to come and go, which would explain the emptiness of the area.