Go the Extra Mile

"You have it all!" He said, "You have it all and how do you repay me? By looking for the ones who abandoned you?"

"You . . . don't know that they abandoned me," the girl choked out, still holding her throat, "And you've given me nothing but pain and suffering."

"But I've made you better than you ever could be!"

"You made me like you!" She said with such disgust she almost felt like she should've spat afterwards.

"Exactly!"

"I don't want to be like you," the girl said quietly, "I want to be anything but you."

He glared her, "You'll learn soon enough that I've given you everything. One day you'll understand how great you have it."

"If this is everything." She gestured to the bloody room, "Then I'd rather have nothing."

He glowered at her and walked forwards, striking the girl across the face before picking up a crowbar and sneering. He hit her in the stomach, then the face, then the gut. He beat her with the already bloody crowbar before grinning maliciously.

"Lights out, Hershey."

I gasped as I sat up in the bed I was previously asleep in. I didn't exactly remember going to sleep, but then again this wasn't my bed. Or my room.

The combination of confusion and the rush of sitting up so fast made my stomach churn, and I turned over the side of the mattress and hurled, conveniently right into a bucket that was sat next to me. Well, there were buckets rimmed around the entire bed; someone clearly didn't want the floor getting dirty.

I heard muffled voices outside the room, and before I knew it two people were walking inside.

"Good, you're up." Batman threw me a glance and crinkled his nose in disgust at the putrid smell that was wafting through the room.

I threw the covers off of me, but Robin was soon at my side with a hand on my shoulder.

"You should rest."

I laughed in his face and got up anyway, walking straight past Batman, who rolled his eyes and followed me out of the room.

"We need to talk about the mission."

"Damn right we do." I turned around and glared at him, "Why the hell was I the target in that situation?"

I was stopped in a hallway, facing the two people that were formerly my sworn enemies and instead of fighting them, I was asking them for answers. My head was pounding and my stomach felt like there was an obese ape sitting on it, but I still managed to raise my voice enough that it cracked when I said:

"I'm tired of you two not telling me things!"

Robin looked at his mentor, who didn't look back. I ran a hand down my face and calmed down a bit as I leaned against the wall.

"Don't think I miss the looks you guys share. How uneasy you get when I talk about the Joker," I said, "Something is up, and it doesn't take the world's best detective to see that you guys are trying to hide it from me. Whether it's to protect me or not, I'm telling you now, it's better that I know."

I awaited their answers, but they still remained silent. Robin's eyes looked just a little bit pleading as he glanced at Bruce once more.

I crossed my arms and stayed leaning on the wall, "You either tell me now, or I find out on my own. And I will find out."

His stone cold gaze matched mine, even as he placed a hand on Robin's shoulder, silently telling him not to say a word.

I shook my head in disbelief, "And you talk to me about trust? About relying on one another? It's a two way street, Bruce."