chapter 12

I stared at her in complete shock. My chest ached. My thoughts were strewn out all across my mind.

"You-you don't remember me?" I croaked.

"Should I remember you?" she asked quietly.

"Yes dammit you should! You have to, baby please please tell me," by this time I was up off the chair in a frantic, "tell me you remember me, us. Oh god. You can't forget," I said full of a pain so surreal I couldn't describe it in words.

She looked frightened.

"Do you remember anything?" I barely said.

"What am I suppose to remember?" she asked.

"Who are you? Who's your family? Anything?"

Her eyes widened and she was taken aback.

"I want a doctor," she said.

"Answer me," I demanded.

"I want a doctor now!" She said louder. "And get out. Please. Leave," she begged.

It then truly hit me.

She did not know who I was.

***

"What I have concluded is when she passed out from her severe levels of alcohol and stress, she hit the ground hard. And with everything, it caused memory loss. I've been talking with her and she only remembers small things. Like when she was little and she would play candy land with her well, mom is what she said. Or going to the movies with her friend um, Stacy. Which is extremely strange, considering the traumatic experiences she has had in her life. Now, this could be temporary. But it also could be permanent," the doctor sighed. "We're going to keep her in for awhile. Harry, the most important thing is she is okay. Try and come see her again here in a few hours."

I didn't respond just looked at the floor as I saw his shoes turn and walk away. I looked up and saw Stacy come out of the room. We exchanged glances but didn't speak. It was obviously painful for all of us.

This can't be happening. Out of all the shit she's been through she still isn't through.

I started walking toward her door and opened it slowly.

She seemed to be lost in thought and then she saw me.

She didn't say anything.

"Hi," I said.

"Hi," she said tucking her hair behind her ear.

Damn she still does that, I chuckled to myself.

"I'm sorry about before, its just-" she stopped me.

"You're Harry, my boyfriend?" she asked.

A smile grew on my face. "Yes! Yes, you remember me?"

She quickly shook her head and my smile faded. "It's what Stacy told me," she said.

"Oh," is all I had the heart to say.

"But I-I believe you if you are. I remember Stacy is my best friend. If she told me you are, I believe her. But-," she trailed off.

I took her hand and looked her in her beautiful blue eyes.

"But-I dont know what to do," she whispered looking down. "I just wish I could remember something, anything," she cried.

I squeezed her hands tighter and put my hand under her chin and tilted it up.

Tears flowed down her cheeks as she nodded.