A Long Journey

4:15 a.m. October 1st 2011
Drowsily, I made my way around my section of the base room I had been assigned to 3 years ago for the last time, careful not to wake the other soldiers that were still asleep. Plugging my earbuds in, I gathered any extra items I didn't pack the evening before into my military grade backpack. Gently waking up the giant black panther that, like me, had been mutated into a weapon and put under cryptofreeze over fifty years ago. I held out a piece of jerky, which was convincing enough to her to make her leap down from the bunk we shared. We snuck out of the cabin, making our way to the mess hall on base to grab some food before our 17 hour flight to Japan, where I have a real family to live with.

My best friend on base since WW2, Captain Steven Rodgers, was waiting at the mess hall for me, two breakfasts and a plate of meat on the table he sat at. He smiled up at me when he saw us. Shuri almost immediately bounded over to him, he was the only other person on base besides me she actually liked, and didn't try to eat. He threw her the meat in the air to prevent her landing on him. I smiled brighter than usual as I strode over to him and sat next to him. "Hey Bucky?"  he turned to me as I started picking at the biscuits and fruits in front of me. "Hmm?..." I glanced up at him, popping a strawberry in my mouth. "Why do you have to go? just stay on base with me and the boys, please?" My smile faded as rested my real arm on the table, chewing at a biscuit. "i....I have a chance at a family, Steve...."

"But we're your family Buck, you have a family here."

"Steve...I want to know what its like to...to be me, to be a human, a sister, not some...science experiment."

"...oh...I get that...but you have to come visit...you know, maybe we could go on a mission together?" he looked at me hopefully as I swallowed down the last of my fruit. he always was easy to convince.

I pinched his nose with my metal arm. "You know I work alone," I said, smirking as he struggled against the titanium hold.

"Lieutenant Barnes! Captian Rodgers!" a loud voice echoed through the hall, making both Steve and me jump up.

"Sir!" we stood at the ready in salute in response to the call

"At ease! Barnes, its time to go." The General made his way to us, narrowly avoiding stepping on the panthers tail.

"Sir! yes sir!" I said, turned to my companion. "Ill miss you Rodgers," I held my hand out to him formally. He took and pulled me into a tight embrace.

"Be careful, they might be your brothers, but their still guys. I'm...we're going to miss you" he said, letting go of me

"I know, and don't worry bout me Rodgers, you know I can handle myself," I flexed my metal arm exaggeratedly

"Barnes." I turned to go, my hand running over the black coat of the mutant I call a friend. As the general, my panther, and I walked out the door, I looked back over my shoulder one last time, giving my best friend two peace signs before leaving.

The General stopped before the helicopter and turned to address me. I stood rigged as he spoke. "Lieutenant Barnes, I never was one for farewells, but I must say what needs to be said. You're one hell of a soldier and this family of yours is lucky to have you. I must insist you remain in touch with headquarters, you are still a soldier. Personally, I believe you deserve a ranking even higher than mine, but being you are still considered only 18, Lieutenant is the best I can get you. Keep to your promises, and keep to this camp. That is all."

"Sir, thank you, sir, for everything,"

"Get out of here Barnes," he said opening the door to the helicopter

"Yessir," I climbed in after Shuri, but before the door could close, the general jumped in himself

"Screw it, you're only 18, I'm personally seeing you to Japan, (into his walkie talkie) put Rodgers in charge, I've got a matter to attend to, I'll return by tomorrow." I looked at him, in shock, until he tossed me a small book, Japanese for Experts. I looked up and mouthed a thank you that was droned out by the chopper taking off.

9:30 p.m.

As the helicopter flew steadily over Japan, I studied from the little book laying in my lap while Panic: At the Disco blasted through my headset. Suddenly the General's voice spoke over the music. "We're almost there. You should probably wake that thing up." I nodded and gently nudged the giant panther sleeping at me feet awake. She lifted her head drowsily, glaring at the General before putting her head back down.

"Shuri, wake up, it's time to go," I leaned over, scratching her ears. When she perked her head up, I tossed a piece of bacon on the ground, and she woke up institaniously.

"And Bucky, don't forget to cover that arm of yours." I looked up to meet the General's stare before saluting with my metal arm and pulling the sleeves of my jacket down. "The boys...their going to miss you...You know that,right?"

"Yes...and sir? What about yourself?"

"Excuse me?"

"Are you going to miss me, sir?"

"...Yes, I do believe I will...keep in touch, we made need you for a mission."

"Of course, sir."

The pilot's voice came over the headsets, "We are presently beginning our descent, please make sure the straps are secure, and thank you for flying Air Boredom." I smirked at the joke while the General glared in the direction of the cockpit. When the chopper hit the ground, I immediately began to unbuckle my self as well as my panther from the safety harnesses. The door opened as I pulled the chain-link collar over her head. Double checking my arm was covered, I swung my pack over my left shoulder before shoveing my hand in my pocket. I grabbed the chain from the floor, but as I walked out of the door, I turned to the man who had accompanied me before the chopper could start up again. I smiled nervously, my knuckles growing white from holding tightly to the chain leash.

"General? Can I ask one more favor from you?"