A Break from Killing

I just ran. I didn't know where. I didn't care why. I just ran.

Until my legs gave out and I fell down. I scraped one of my knees and bruised the other. I didn't care anymore. I could deal with my usual nightmares. But that one, I couldn't take it. I still didn't cry. I never cried. The voices echoed in my head. Telling me I'm a monster. Yelling that I'm a failure. Crying that I wasn't good enough, that I had to be different, more, to be accepted. I turned my music up, hoping it would drown them out, but it only made it echo more. I didn't stop though. If I couldn't run anymore, then I'd walk. "Keep moving." I told my self, "Keep moving. Don't Stop. They'll find you." I sat down in the branches a plum tree, blasting my music loud enough to blow my eardrums, but I didn't care.

Reaching to the earpieces to try to turn it louder, I felt a hot, sticky liquid dripping from my ears. Looking at my hand, I saw my fingers covered in blood. My blood. I wiped it off on my joggers, noticing some seeping through from my knee. I don't know how long I sat there, but when I finally climbed down the tree and started back home, the sun was rising.

I guess it was about five or six when I finally got home. Masaome, Ukyo, and Tsubaki were up, talking, when I got there. "Hello? Who's there?" Ukyo got up as I stumbled noisily through he door. "Bucky? What are you doing out so early?" I looked up at him, my mouth dry. As I was about to answer, Tsubaki glanced at my face,... and noticed the blood dripping from my ears. "My God! What happened?!" Masaomi jumped up from the couch, moving over to me. Then he noticed the blood seeping through my joggers. "You're bleeding! What happened?! Are you O.K.?!" He started moving swiftly, wetting a towel, wiping the blood from my ears, kneeling down, rolling up my joggers, cleaning my knee. When Tsubaki started freaking out, wanting Masaomi to check my arms and legs for anymore scrapes, I pushed them away, literally. I shoved Masaomi off me and he fell to the ground.

"My apologies," I held my hand out to him, helping him up. He looked stunned before shaking it off and smiling.

"It was my fault, I worry too much. It's your natural reaction to push away help. I should've realized that," he put his hand on my shoulder reassuringly. "Why don't you sit down and tell us what happened." He said guiding me gently to the couch.

"Nothing happened." I stopped, turning around. "I went for a run, and I fell. Simple as that. Now, if you'll excuse me." I marched off, going to the bathroom to shower.

When I finished,I heard people moving around in their rooms, just now waking up. Returning to my room, my phone started ringing. It was the general. "Sir." "Lieutenant Barnes. I have successfully completed your request. No one will disturb you for a mission which involves assassination for the next two months." "Thank you sir. I appreciate it." "Don't forget about us over here. Rodgers may loose it if you don't back to visit." "Understood sir. Thank you sir." The call ended. I sat on my bed smiling to myself. No more murders for two months! I was giddy. Of course, I still could be called in for military assignments or man-hunts, but I can always refuse the latter. Putting on my usual black military halter top and black short-shorts and my tall black stiletto boots, I woke up Shuri up, I went downstairs, finding almost everyone, except Ema and Yusukue who were all getting ready for school. I glanced apologetically at Masaomi, who acted like nothing had happened, same as Ukyo and Tsubaki. The day went by uneventfully. I had the same nightmare that night. Only... instead of 'I love You,' Steve's last words were 'I need you'

6:57 A.M. October 10th (eight days later)
Greeting everyone I sat down between Kaname and Azusa. We started eating as Ema and Yusuke sat down. Half-way trough, Kaname snuck his hand onto my leg, moving up my thigh. I was about to break his hand, when Ukyo suddenly hit him over the head with a frying pan. I snickered as he cradled his head in his arms, complaining. Suddenly my phone buzzed from my pocket. Glancing at the screen, it said it was a call request from Sergeant Blonsky.

"Who's Blonsky?" I looked up from my phone to see Azusa leaned over my shoulder.

"Business," I muttered, excusing myself from the table and picking up. "What is it, Emil? I thought the general told you people to leave me be." "He said no assassinations, I need you to find someone, not kill them." "Who? How much? Where? And when?" "Dr. Banner, Brazil, and as soon as possible." "How much, Emil" "40 million." "Please,... make it 100." "55." "90." "65." "80." "70." "75 Or no deal." "Fine. I'll send a chopper to base in 2 hours." "Make it three and I'm not at base, I'm in Japan, I'll send you coordinates. And send three of my rifels with it, if I'm right about Bruce, I'm going to need 'em" "Ok, I own you for this, Bucky." "Yeah, you do, 75 million to be exact. You sure as hell better not forget that wire transfer, Blonsky." I hung up on him before he could say anything more. Great. This had better be an easy job.

I didn't realize it, Iori and Azusa had been listening in on my conversation, immensely confused.

I went to my room to start packing for Brazil, explaining things to Shuri. I heard a knock on my door, and upon opening it, found Tsubaki and Azusa, along with a orange-haired man, who they introduced to be the 7th son, Natsume. "Ukyo wants us to take you to get some new clothes and whatever else you made need for your time here as well as school." Tsubaki said, matter-a-factly, holding out his hand to me.

"No." I said, walking past them, down the stairs, and into the living room, where Ukyo was going through files for a case he was on. "Ukyo, I'm heading out for a bit. I'll be back in few days." I started walking towards the door, when I heard him yell from behind me. "A FEW DAYS?!?! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!" I heard he stand up and start walking to me, as well as the trio running down the stairs. "Brazil" I muttered walking out the door, to the waiting helicopter.