Chapter 8

◢✥◣  

Draught of Living Death

  ◥✥◤  

The dining hall was like the rest of the compound - dim lit and elegant. A long dining table made of solid wood stood in the center of the room, decked with silverware and crystal glasses. There were no sights of any sort of windows, which made it look even more darker. Plates of sandwiches and tarts and glassesful of red drinks adorned the table except for one plate.

As Willow entered the room along with the three siblings, her eyes caught sight of Elijah, who appeared to have been reading the paper until she had arrived. They both exchanged a flattery smile and saw that he was wearing a suit, which made her wonder what special occasion was today.

Right next to him at the end of the table, in dismay, she saw Niklaus throwing a scornful look at her while putting down his crimson drink.

"Look whom we have here. It's the little witch from last night. Have you brought her to me because you couldn't find blood bags, Kol?"

"Really? Now my height bothers the great, paranoid Niklaus Mikaelson?"

"Klaus, I would like it if you could just shut your mouth for once in these thousand years of existence," said an exasperated Kol, as he saw Willow rolling her eyes, almost regretting to visit the compound.

"Nevermind him, Willow. He only speaks kindly to no one but himself."

Willow took a deep breath, just to calm herself. She felt Kol place his arm over her shoulder gently, as he showed her way to her seat, right next to Elijah. She smiled at him again and could get the whiff of masculine musk from him, which was lightly rousing to her. She tried not to glance at him too much so that it wasn't obvious.

Kol sat alongside her to her right and opposite her, Rebekah. Beside her stood Freya, serving out sandwiches and juices to her siblings.

"So, Willow the wand woman," said Rebekah as she sipped some of her red drink, which looked like blood to Willow, "Thank you for last night, although my vain brother here would disagree. (She saw him scowl and grab her drink from her hand and finish it down in one gulp.) Freya here was very impressed with your witch skills since she herself is one."

"Wow! A witch Mikaelson?" asked a surprised Willow, looking at her as Freya sat down. "I thought that there were five vampire siblings?"

The tension of the seated vampires became explicit. Freya stopped eating her sandwich, and Kol put down his glass of blood.

"Oh my goodness, forgive me. I- did- I say anything wrong?"

Willow was looking at all their faces and most of their heads were low. She finally managed to maintain a brief eye contact with Elijah, who looked up with remorse.

"The fifth one you're talking about was our eldest brother, Finn. He was killed 2 years back under the most unfortunate circumstance."

Was this the incident that Marcel was referring to? The incident that allowed them to enjoy 2 years of peace, at the cost of someone's death? It was a known fact that the Mikaelsons were no saints, but were they actually that awful that the whole city had to celebrate their downfall? Willow had so many questions but realized best not to mouth any of them.

Willow regretted her decision to listen to Kol and visit the Mikaelsons. She gave an apologetic look to Elijah and turned around to see Kol.

"It-It's all right, darling. You didn't-"