Chapter 17: My protege

I stirred to find a set of hands pressing upon my arms shaking me to consciousness. Tensing my muscles before their face became clear I wrapped my hands around their arms pulled them close and head-butted them. The sharp pain in my forehead was worth deterring this possible attacker. As the adrenaline surged the haze before my eyes began to clear and I looked down at the Templar crying out upon the ground.

'Shit. What had I done? And who had I done it to?'

An odd sense of disappointment and relief came to me as I could make out it wasn't Samson, the armour was that of a regular Templar and the build was too slight. "Damon?" I guessed despite not having a clear view of his face as he was holding to his nose.

"Fuck! What was that for?" He exclaimed.

"I am so Sorry. You surprised me and I did it in a reflex," I confessed feeling a stab of guilt at causing him pain, but it had been a stupid idea to shake me.

"They need you in the healing tent, now!"

I dragged myself up, splashed cold water on my face to rouse myself. Racing over to the tent I found that all seven beds were occupied by Templars groaning and writhing in pain. And there were three more leaning upon cots as if to stay standing. My eyes widened upon the scene of injuries and bloodied faces. There were so many cries for help and aid that it was a little overwhelming and difficult to focus on one voice clearly. My head began to throb. I couldn't recall the last time I had dealt with so many injuries at once. There had always been other healers with us when I was a Templar. As a red Templar, I was a solo healer at times took its toll on me. It was a heavy burden of responsibility but they were in need, and I couldn't abandon them.

I had to give each Templar a once over and assess who was in most need and who could be saved. The two closest to me were beyond even the greatest healers ability. Parts of their bodies were crushed and broken beyond repair. It was a sickening sight. The only thing that could be done was to ease their pain or end it. It was difficult to dismiss them and take to another's side. So I took one man's hand and it was as if he knew. He gritted his teeth and nodded. I pulled my blade free and put enough pressure on the hilt to drag the blade across his throat. It was a bloody and horrific act. Watching the man choke and gasp for air. The stillness that followed left me cold and uneasy. It was difficult to accept that this was the only mercy I could offer. I would have prayed for their soul had I the time or faith to spare a care for their soul. But I had work to do. After what felt like another execution there were still too many who needed pain relief and aid. I wiped the blood of the fallen Templars from my hands. And I sheathed my blade hoping I would not have cause to use it again.

I took to the Templar who I could only assume had a leg injury given that he had a tight grip upon it. His hands were coated in blood but I had no way of knowing whose. So I pressed, "What happened?"

"We took care of the giant problem," he strained through gritted teeth.

My eyes widened. I couldn't believe they had gone back out there. "Where is the pain?"

"Everywhere," he gasped.

"Please I know you're in a lot of pain but I need you to be more specific. Did the giant hit you? Did you fall?"

"The giant dragged me up by my leg if the behemoth had not distracted him I wouldn't be here."

So many were still calling and begging for my attention. I needed help and spotted Damon. His eyes were wide and his nose swollen. I had no time to allow my guilt to hold me back. "Damon, help this man out of his armour. I need to see the extent of his injuries."

Damon thankfully was good at taking orders. He looked terrified but he followed each order given. "Damon, give him elfroot." Damon's hands were shaking as he passed the nervous solider the vial. He drank it in one gulp and tightened his jaw as if he knew what was next, "Hold him down Damon." Turning to the anxious Templar whose red eyes were set upon me, I calmly asked, "I need you to remain as still as possible. The joint is out and I need to push it back in place." He nodded but I had to warn him, "This will hurt."