Crows.

The night sky stretched vastly passed my view, trees swaying in the wind. I washed myself and my clothes in a nearby stream, finally free of the dirt and blood from nights before. The silence was agonizing with the occasional noises of nighttime animals. Lifting my head, I felt the atmosphere change around me. Some one was there, waiting for my movements. I couldn't see far into the trees, but I didn't dare let my guard down.

A sudden rustling of leaves sent a shiver down my spine, startling me enough to jump. I glanced up, sighing to see it was just a bird.

One for sorrow.

I exhaled, trying to dry my clothes as quickly as possible, making my way through the brush. It was a good walk away from the chapel, so I took in more of my surroundings. Trees swayed heavily, giving me that childish fear of them falling on me. Another bird soon fled from its low perch.

Two for mirth.

I scrambled down a hill, slowly trying to keep my balance, as another bird squawked in my ear, nearly hitting me as I tumbled onto the hard ground.

Three for a wedding.

A small cut formed on my knee, blood shining in the moonlight. With a sigh, I continued deeper into the woods. The atmosphere began to clear up, giving me the chance to stop and look around. A tree stump was hidden under some weeds, which I pushed away, taking a seat on the rotting wood. I heard more wings flapping, but I didn't care to look.

And four for a birth.

Heavy rustling emitted from bushes, causing my legs to lift me up, pushing their way into more trees, I hadn't had time to even process the information when a sudden barking echoed through the darkness. I hated coyotes with all my soul. I kept the pace until I began coughing heavily. The echoes lingered for a little longer, only to leave me in silence. The only thing I heard was my heartbeat and my breathing. I eventually came upon the weak structure, feeling a wave of relief as I made my way in. The three men were sound asleep, snoring softly.

I listened for a few moments longer, hearing Toby twitch sometimes. I chuckled, thinking I was insane to not run. But I didn't know where to go. And, that thing with them. I probably wouldn't get far, and I would be killed. I couldn't take the chance.

I wrapped myself in the blanket, laying near the three mattresses. Toby was next to me, facing me. I could see drool dripping from the opening in his mouth.

Just before being pulled to sleep by the sounds of nature, I felt the heavy presence from before, seeing der Großmann standing patiently by the door. Emotionless, he watched, posture elegant and strong. A power I could not match.

This chapter was real short but I'm trying to get it out as soon as possible. There is much, much more in store for you, so be prepared!