Chapter Nine

On the verge of passing out into sleep, I wait for a text indicating what Adam and his minions want. I'm not even sure if it is Adam who is texting me. It could be Maria for all I know. I wonder what the hell they want.

Does Maria want me to destroy my entire career? My life? I ponder how far I would be willing to even go for my immortality and my powers. Sure, it will be a pain in my ass, but I can live without it, right?

I even jolt out of my half-asleep state when there is a knock on the door.

Helgi and I exchange looks and he gets up to get it. There is a series of muttering before he returns with a weird beat up bronze body. He peels off a note stuck onto its head.

"Pinched this from my dad's house. You're welcome, princess. Courtesy of Icarus," he reads aloud, placing the thing beside me.

I raise a brow and turn to examine the body. The thing is ancient, definitely from when I was around the mortal realm. It screams Daedalus' inventions.

His body is made up of bronze in the figure of a seven-feet grown man. A handsome man with the body of a damn renaissance statue. I would be questioning what Daedalus planned to do with this creation if it weren't for his lack of genitals.

In its prime, this automation would be glorious to gaze upon. Now it's mainly a broken-down piece of shit that requires a lot of replacements and repair work.

I will need to figure out how to connect the head to this vessel and have it working smoothly. But damn, I'm not leaving it with this hideous body. If it is one thing that Mary Shelley's Frankenstein has taught me, it is not to create life with butt ugly bodies. Otherwise, they will whine like a little bitch and try murder you.

I wonder how human I can make this creature look to make Dinero eat his words.

"Can you really restore that?" Helgi asks.

"You clearly have no idea how capable I am," I snort at him, placing the figure down on the table. I rip off the head, making Helgi gasp in surprise, then rub his head with a groan.

"Shouldn't this require, I don't know, a whole team of scientists?" Helgi questions, seeming exasperated at the thought of me doing this alone.

I observe it with a frown. This is going to be tricky without magic to assist me. I consider who has a supply of magic. As Helgi goes off to cut up tomatoes for Poe in the kitchen, I call my future brother-in-law.

"Get your ass over to my house, I've got a job for you," I say as soon as Davian picks up the phone. He is currently the man dating my youngest brother, Invidian. He is a reaper who acquired the powers of an angel about a year ago.

Since he began dating Invidian, their relationship has been going strong. At first, I was iffy about them. My first impression of him was that he was a confused coward without any direction in his life. However, he has proven himself a suitable partner for Invidian. He certainly has proven himself more than Calder has, that's for damn sure.

"Uh, I would like to say no, but I'm figuring that isn't an option."

"Want to learn alchemy?"

"Ooooh, yes, yes, yes!" he instantly becomes chirpy, "Aren't you sick though? I thought you would be resting in bed right now."

"You would like that, wouldn't you?"

"What? Why would I like that? I hope you're doing well. We were all concerned about you." I feel too uncomfortable to respond seriously.