Chapter Thirty-Three

The storms slowly wane without the Titanes fuelling the storms. I glance up at the light display in the sky before I'm forced inside the Saint Vanity skyscraper I saw when I explored the city Prometheus lives in.

My shoes hit checkerboard tiles and to my surprise, there are quite a lot of people in here still working. They are mainly humans.

The mortals seem to be influencers, ranging from models, singers and even movie stars, being instructed on how to act by possessed mortals. Despite the dangerous storms, they were forced to stay and work. They all look so exhausted, working with empty, drained gazes. They move like zombies close to passing out.

Insultingly enough, some have the words 'slave' scribbled on the side of their faces. Others have it written on their shirts. It's so on the nose anyone could dismiss it as a fashion statement. I certainly have.

Dinero leads me up to his office on the thirteenth floor to his office.

It is strikingly similar to the one in Pandemonium only this one is completely paved in gold, besides the window. When we enter his office, he greets me the same way he always has: he gestures for me to sit. I choose to stay standing. I consider running, but there is a slim chance I can. If I do and I'm caught, I'm sure Dinero would outright kill me.

He walks over to his window, gazing down from the height like he is in his own bubble. There is a usual air of arrogance and self-entitlement hovers around him, but there is something off about him. Perhaps it's just how I see him now knowing about his past.

Dammit, the last thing I want to deal with this psychopath.

"Cut to the chase. What do you plan on doing to me?" I demand.

If I have to fight I'd rather do so now. If he's going to kill me, I want him to get it over with. I'm getting sick of the anticipation kicking my heart.

"I always liked that quality about you," he turns, drawing close to my face with a crooked grin, "I terrify you, but you still don't quiver or kiss my ass to appease me."

I screw my face up in confusion. No, he's trying to keep my guard down and give me hope this won't end badly. It would be more satisfying for him to snuff it out. I glance around trying to figure out how to escape. There is a barrier that stops me from teleporting away.

No. Running isn't an option.

"You know, when I tell others to take a walk with me, they tremble. They try to act calm and collected but the facade melts away. Then they go to their knees and beg for their lives. You might do well to learn from them."

When I don't respond, his grin widens and my heart jumps when he traces his nails against my throat. They must be fake or else I'd be dead. I eye his fingers, dreading the idea of them touching me.

"I sense your fear. I bet your heart is racing along with your thoughts," he mocks, "Why not embrace the coward you've always been inside? He might just save your life."

I adjust my breathing and grit my teeth in disgust.

"Says you. You're nothing without the powers others give you."

"I didn't need any powers to make you stand by my side. I've never even raised a hand against you."

I grit my teeth, pissed off at the truth in his statement. It pisses me off that he didn't need spells, curses or blackmail to get me to work for him. Only his words.

"You knew I was emotionally vulnerable and you took advantage of that," I accuse him, growing more and more agitated with this conversation.

He tilts his head in disagreement.