Chapter Twenty-One

"By far, this must be the second weirdest soul I have devoured. His thoughts always leave me with a headache," Mavin mocks, his voice sounding like it is coming from a distorted radio connection.

My vision shakes and I begin to see a Mavin's body in place of Romero's in is a mass of raw darkness with a sheet white face, with red veins protruding beneath the skin. My skin crawls realising it was his eyes I felt watching Romero and me.

So, Romero's soul has been devoured. Part of me says good riddance, but if Mavin was the one messing with him, I completely understand why he went insane.

"He was a great asset though," he sighs, rubbing his chin, "But he wasn't listening when I told him to stop attacking you. I like seeing you so helpless, but I can't torment you if you're in pieces."

"Get away from me," I snap, but his smirk deepens instead of taking me seriously. His attitude makes my heart race with dread. Fuck, he definitely knows about my situation with Adam. His smug, cocky expression gives it away. Just my luck.

No, this isn't luck or a coincidence.

"How long have you been watching me?" I sneer, keeping a good distance between us as he walks towards me.

"Your phone has some incriminating messages," he continues.

"You found it?"

"No, I've always had access to your account."

I curl my lip. That can't be right. I've gone through so many considering Marid keeps breaking my phones. It is even creepier if Mavin gained access to each of them. How long has he been watching over me?

"And not just your phone either. I must say, this past week must be the most eventful one you've had in a very long time."

A deeply violated feeling washes over me. Fuck, not only he was watching everything I did online, he must have been watching me through my security cameras. This feels sinisterly deja vu to my last encounter with Ameinias.

"Stay the fuck away from me, you vile, perverted whore."

He tsks in disapproval.

"You're the vile one, betraying the people who made you."

"Made me?" I repeat, wanting nothing more to smash his face against the ground, "Why haven't you run to tattle on me like the brown-nosed coward I know you are?"

A sharp ring pierces my ears. I press my palms to my ears, trying to block out the sound. He takes the opportunity to catch me by the throat and pin me against the shelves.

"Because then he would be the one to bring you to your knees. Not me." I force myself to keep myself standing when the sound intensifies. His smirk grows even more twisted. "You can ignore me and get yourself killed by Dinero, or I will keep your secret. Sell me your soul," he urges, making my blood boil.

"If you want me to kneel, you're going to have to break my knees," I spit in his face.

His jaw ticks and raises his arm to slug me in the face.

I force my soul out my body and knock his out of Romero's. With a swing, I propel him backwards. His soul goes flying backwards through a few rows of shelves.

I glance back at my physical body that is now passed out on the floor. Going into my soul form is risky, but this way, I should be enough to stall him until Gavreel's ritual grows strong enough to kick him back to Hell. I will deal with the consequences later.