Chapter Fifteen

"When Romani failed an exam in my class, Lydia walked in with a few mafia members, then talked about his grades. She offered a bribe. I didn't take it, but I told her our conversation was noted. Romani then used his mother's fame to get himself and Ashton out of detentions," Dwaine explains from the other side of the dining table, once against losing to Gavreel's chess skills.

Even with me pointing out ways he can use to counter her moves, he is failing miserably. Helgi seems less than impressed by our divided attention, standing by the table with folded arms.

"That's despicable. Where is Romani's father?" Helgi questions still peeved about the boy.

Dwaine's face grows sombre, pulling up a newspaper article showing an image of man that looks just like Romani, only with a black birthmark on his left cheek.

"Romero committed suicide a few years ago."

Helgi grows uncomfortable and glances away. I stroke my chin, wondering if there is foul play Lydia's behalf. Then again, the demons haunting Lydia could have set off an aura of misery long enough to bring him to that point.

"What is the queen of kicking grandmas doing around mafia members?" I ask, steering away from the dreary topic.

"Business people hire them for services," Beau explains, placing another bowl of spaghetti in front of me. So far, I have eaten through three bowls and it still feels like there is a void in my stomach where the food disappears, leaving me hungry. Curse this poison. "They often ask them for protection. I know my father did."

"That can't be all," Helgi grumbles, brows knitted in thought, "We need a solid strategy to figure out what she is hiding."

"Hold on. Our mission is to just keep Ashton from making a deal," I interrupt, making Helgi narrow his eyes on me.

"We know something suspicious is going on. We have a duty to do something."

"I have a deadline to meet before, I don't know, I lose my powers and my immortality," I snap, "If we get involved, Dinero is going to catch us. We don't even know how many henchmen is lingering around the Flavia family."

Helgi pinches the ridge of his nose in frustration.

"To keep Ashton from making a deal with a demon, we need the demons to keep away. That is clearly what Adam means," he explains in frustration.

"We don't know that for certain. If we put a wrench between Romani and Ashton's friendship, that will solve the issue."

"That would be difficult," Dwaine admits, "They've been friends far before I even began working for the school."

"It's easy. Leave it to me," I disagree, going on my phone to text Ashton. Now it is seven, the pausa should be done by now. After a moment, he invites me out to a club nearby.

"And leave the demons to only eat away at Romani?" Helgi questions with a disapproving tone.

"What's your problem? You hate the guy."

"Only because of the influence of his mother and those demons. He's a kid," Helgi argues, "Who else is going to help him?"

"The only way to solve the issue is if his mother dies," I snort, making Helgi glare at the floor and Dwaine shift around in discomfort, "Those contracts are difficult to break."

"But it is possible to break," Gavreel points out.

I give her a dry expression.

"That will require her giving up what the demon gave her in exchange for her soul. That would also only require her changing her entire personality."