1

Jackson

Late...again.

I wake up to see my clock and the numbers 7:56am glowing brightly in my face. Should I just stay home today? Wait, no...if I skip today mom is going to kill me. I get up and take a shower then I look for something comfortable to wear, a hoodie and sweats. It's not like I'm going to meet the president or anything so what's the point of dressing up today? Plus it's only Monday. I run down the stairs and grab my bookbag before remembering to grab my phone. I scurry down the street towards my school and click my phone to check the time and it shows 8:32am. Darn it. I pick up the pace and run straight through the front doors and down the hall when I am stopped by a hall cop. Yes, a hall cop. We're in high school now do we really need these? He stops me and looks down since he's a bit taller than me.

"Excuse me, but you do know there is no running in the hallways right?" He says while slightly looking over me.

"Yeah yeah, okay listen I'm already late and I can't be any later than I am right now so could you please just let me go by?" I say nearly in a hurry.

"Oh no sir. I am so sorry I can't do that."

"Sir? What the heck? How old do you think I am? And why can't you?"

"You're 18 sir. I don't mean to sound weird but I really look up to you and other seniors."

"Are you not a senior?"

"No sir. I'm a sophomore."

"Sophomore my a..."

"Sir I would hope you wouldn't say that you are already in a lot of trouble."

I sigh and stare at this pathetic kid just cheesing away.

"Well I can you get you off the hook under one condition." He says while smiling even harder.

"What condition?"

"You have to hang out with me and my friends after school!"

"What? Absolutely not!"

"Well okay then let's head down to the office then."

"Wait wait wait" I say while giving in. "I'll 'hang out' with your little friends after school."

"Promise?"

"Yeah yeah."

"Say it."

I sigh. What's up with this kid?

"I promise I will hang out after school with - hey kid whats your name?"

"Yugyeom. Kim Yugyeom."

"I promise I'll hang out with Yugyeom and his friends after school."

"Yay okay! Meet us in the library! You might want to go its almost 9 already." He says and I roll my eyes and walk off.

 Stupid sophomore.

It was just my luck that the teacher hasn't come to class yet so I have enough time to talk with Jessica, my crush. She was tall, beautiful, and had nice red hair. I used to mess around and call her Ariel all the time because that is her favorite princess. If only I could confess my feelings for her...

Few hours later.

Finally lunch time. I head off campus since that's what seniors can do and head to McDonalds to grab a bite to eat.

"That'll be $4.37" The cashier says while looking at me.

I reach for my wallet and notice that it isn't there. Maybe I left it in my locker or at home or something?

"I got it." A deep voice from behind said while handing a 5 dollar bill to the cashier. I turn to see a guy around my age and height standing behind me in line. He had red hair and nice eyes that hypnotized me. I feel my heart beating a bit faster than normal as I stumble over my words. Wait what am I doing? It's just a guy who paid for my lunch...a really attractive guy. JACKSON STOP. I didn't even catch myself staring until he cleared his throat.

"Ahem."

"Oh um yeah thanks..." I say and feel my face flush as I turn back forward to see the cashier handing me my bag of food.

"Ah thanks." I say while scurrying off to look for a table to sit at.

Great. Why are they packed today? In the corner of my eye I could see someone motioning me towards them. Great. it's the stupid sophomore.

I had no other choice so I walk over to a booth where he is sitting with 4 other guys. "Senior!" That dumb kid calls out to me.

"Please call me by my name." I say a bit annoyed and I sit next to him.

"Sorry Jackson. Anyway these are my friends! Bambam a sophomore, Youngjae a junior, Jaebum a senior, and Jinyoung a senior." He says while introducing me to the guys.

"Hey, aren't you in gym with me?" I ask the guy named Jaebum and he nods. I remember playing a game of basketball and how great his skills were.

"So what was up with Mark buying you lunch? I never knew he actually did things for people!" Yugyeom asks while munching on fries.

"Who is Mark? The redhead? Oh I don't know. I just didn't have my wallet and he paid for me and what do you mean?" I ask while sipping on my soda.

"He barely talks or socializes with anyone...not since last year." Jinyoung says with a lot of hurt in his voice and gets up and leaves.

"What happened last year?" I ask, sounding completely clueless. Last year, I went back to Hong Kong and moved back here during the summer.

"He had this beautiful girlfriend named Charisma and they were the most perfect couple ever, literally. They were like one of those couples you see on the internet." Bambam started off slowly.

 "Then she and Mark were drunk one night and went for a little drive...she lost control and crashed. They were taken to the hospital and she died within a few hours. Ever since then he doesn't talk to people much. No one knows if he ever went to get help but even if you ask he won't answer." Bambam says and an uncomfortable silence covers the table.

"I think we should go now. The next bell should ring soon." Youngjae says while getting up and throwing his and Jaebums things away. I throw my things away and turn to see Mark sitting alone and looking out of the window.

I wonder whats on his mind.