two | strawberry cake

- erza -

I had came to learn that the lunch bell was a signal for freedom. As the class rushed out of the classroom, I easily outran them, satisfied with my research that morning.

The strawberry cake in Fairy Tail High School was the best of the best, but there was only one slice in stock every Monday of every week. Perhaps Headmaster Makarov was clever with this plan-to make sure nobody skipped school on a Monday.

But there was another problem that came with it: complete and utter chaos. Screams and shouts rang out of the whole canteen and I had to crane my neck to find the cake.

Pushing my way through and somersaulting on top of the rushing crowd, I grabbed the strawberry cake, shocking the chef who'd just put it out for purchase. With a satisfied grunt, I found a seat next to Lucy who was staring at me with an amazed expression.

"You-you actually got it." She stared at the cake, a small drool visible beside her mouth.

I came across the familiar war inside of me-being a nice friend and giving it to her, or taking it all for myself. Heart hammering in my chest, my arm slightly wobbled as I offered it to her.

"No!" She screamed loudly, eyes still on the prize. "I know how you feel," she whispered. "The feeling of being a nice friend or not." Forcefully peeling her eyes away from the cake, she put a hand out in front of her, blocking her vision from it. "Eat it."

"Don't eat it!" Someone else screamed. The small blue-haired that told me the way to the reception came scurrying towards us, her hands also out in front of her. Was this cake cursed or something?

"Levy-chan!" Lucy squealed, arms outspread for a hug. But Levy was still watching the cake with a mortified expression.

"Don't eat it," she warned. "It's Fernandes's."

I followed her gaze to a sulking boy who was leaning on the side wall, staring at his hands as if the cake would magically appear in his hands. I couldn't see his entire face from my position, but I could make out a tattoo on the side of his face and silky, dark blue hair. It was easy to see his athletic build from his shirt.

Fernandes had caught my stare-or rather, the cake. Levy's cry went out as I put the whole cake into my mouth and smiled cheekily at Fernandes, mouth still full of cake.

Then, I started choking.

Lucy patted my back so vigorously I started to choke even more, but I didn't want to vomit the cake out, so I swallowed, hard. The strawberry and cake melted in my tongue and all I could feel was how delicious it was.

"A-ahh," I exhaled as the whole cake fit through my throat. "That was good."

"Even whilst you were choking?!" Levy squealed.

I waved it off, laughing. "Even that."

- • -

The noticeboard hung crookedly on the wall and Lucy went to fix it. I followed, scrolling my eyes through it before landing on Volleyball Club. I'd always wanted to join a sports club, and I was quite good at volleyball already.

"Are second years allowed to join sports clubs?" I asked Lucy and Levy who stared at me as if I were some kind of alien.

"Well, yes, but only the boys."

"But there are other clubs, like knitting club, or film club, or-" Levy ushered, attempting to drive me out of the idea of sports. I sighed, looking down at my feet.

"Maybe I'll just watch," I said, hoping for a particular type of answer.

"Their session is today after school," Lucy offered, still confused as to why I'd like sports. But, bingo. I've got the answer I wanted.

- • -

As soon as school finished, I rushed towards the sports hall, only to be stopped by the white-haired devil, Mirajane.

"Where are you going? Trying to pick up boys?" She sneered.

Stuttering for an answer to not jeopardise my plan, I said, "What's your problem? If you have a problem with me, just say it to my face!"

Mirajane looked shocked, her skin now turning redder by the second. "It's just-I'm the popular girl, but you're the talk of the school! It's not fair!"

I looked through her, now seeing who she really was, and not just some wannabe Queen Bee. Mirajane continued, her sentences now a ramble. "-And what if Laxus dumps me? I'll have no-one, no friends..."

"You could always hang out with us, you know." I shrugged, nonchalant, but for Mirajane it seemed to be as if it was all she ever wanted. Her tears started to sparkle.

"R-really?"

"Yeah," I smiled.

"Thank you," she muttered, playing with her fingers. "Sorry for my ramble, I-I've never had someone to talk to..."

I patted her shoulder. "Well, since you told me your secrets, I'll tell you mine." I looked back towards the sports hall. "I'm joining Volleyball Club!"

"Isn't that for boys?" She asked, intrigued. "How are you supposed to past for a boy? I mean, you've got the expression-"

"-Hey!"

Mirajane laughed. "I can help you with that. Come with me."

- • -

"Here." Mirajane threw me a polo shirt and sport trousers. We had already found trainers from the Lost Property, and Mirajane always kept a spare P.E kit for Laxus in case he needed them. I found it weird, but didn't comment on it.

"You're ready to go," Mirajane looked down on her watch. "Session starts in five minutes," she reminded me. "Give me a call if you need help; I'll just be at home lazying around."

"Thanks," I say, and really mean it, as she walked out of the Girls Changing Room.

With a deep inhale, I walk out towards the indoor volleyball pitch, where the boys were already waiting.

- • -

a/n: ooh, what's gonna happen???

Remember to vote, comment and to add this book to your reading list! 😊