ten | acceptance

— erza —

I was shutting my locker when Jellal caught up to me. Students were already pushing past us, desperate to flee the gates of school. "Scarlet—wait!"

Surprised, I turned towards him. "Your locker's at the other end," I reminded. Jellal was in a different class than me—Class 2A, whereas I was Class 2L. Unfortunately, we hardly had any lessons together, and being in a different school block meant it was hard for us to visit during our short break times.

Jellal showed me his already packed bag. It was only then did I realise he was panting heavily. "You're so quick!"

"Why didn't you tell me about your Grandfather?"

I paused. I wasn't hiding Grandfather from him on purpose; I knew telling him about how Grandfather forbade relationships with others would cause only more problems on Jellal. "I just didn't think it was that important."

"Erza," he groaned, wiping sweat off his forehead. Something tightened inside of me at the sound of my real name on his lips. "Please, don't hide anything from me." He took a step closer, and I had to use every ounce of my energy left not to fall into his arms.

Not wanting to admit defeat at his persistent ways, I crossed my arms over my chest. "I'm just worried you'll break up with me when you realise I'm not even allowed a relationship," I rambled out quickly, but my voice was quiet.

"Break up with you? Is this what this is about?" Jellal couldn't seem to hold back a smile. "You know, you're the first girl I'm actually serious about." He cupped my chin so that I was forced to look straight into his dark irises.

"You're my first boyfriend, Jellal," I whisper, not wishing to chance the atmosphere we had now. "I don't want to lose you."

"And why is that?"

Because I've lost you before and I don't want to feel lonely again.

I looked away to the wall behind him, blushing. "You've probably forgotten, but you were my only childhood friend." Smiling, I continued, "I still can't forget the time you stood up to me in front of the girls when I wanted to dress up as a knight instead of a princess."

"You would've looked nice as a princess. But at that time, you were so obsessed with metal and armour for some reason, teachers reported you for wearing the wrong uniform," he laughed.

I pointed back at him. "Says you! Drawing a tattoo on your face with permanent marker that didn't rub off for three weeks!"

With both of us laughing together, it made me feel suddenly stupid for hiding my secrets from him. Right then, I didn't care if Grandfather saw, or if the whole world saw. Fate brought us together, tied us around its magic finger. No matter how much we pulled, the thread only tightened.

"So, can I meet your Grandfather?"

— • —

"Late again, Erza!" Grandfather's voice rang like warning bells.

"Sorry. I've brought a guest." I pulled Jellal out of the shadows in front of Grandfather and he earned a grunt after bowing stiffly.

Standing up a bit taller, Jellal announced, "My name is Fernandes, Jellal. I am Erza's girlfriend. Pleased to make your acquaintance."

"Girlfriend?" Grandfather's eyes narrowed. "My granddaughter is not allowed any boyfriends!" Now glaring, he turned to me. "Erza, up to your room! I'm going to have a word with your...friend."

I gave Jellal an apologetic glance in response, before hurrying up the stairs to my bedroom.

— • —

"Come in," I said when there was a light knock on my door. Jellal nervously poked his head in, his hair a bit rumpled from what I assumed to be due to being shouted at. "Sorry," I apologised. "Grandfather can be a bit..."

Jellal sat next to me, cross-legged. "It's okay. I've got good news."

I raised my eyebrows, urging him on. He answered, "he allows us to have a study group at your place—only twice a week, though. But more importantly—" he held my hands in his own and examined them. "—he's okay with us being together."

"What did you say to him?"

Rubbing the nape of his neck, he said, "I told him the story of when we were in sixth grade, just before we were going to different middle schools..."

A blush was forming on his cheeks. "Remember how I was the smallest in the class? The boys always picked on me. Most of them had a crush on you," he chuckled. "Well, you came up to them and told them all that you'd never hang out with them if they kept bullying me. And magically, they stopped."

"I do remember having a fist fight with one of them," I recalled. Jellal sweat-dropped beside me.

"It was that moment... I knew I liked you." He'd started tracing my knuckles with his thumb. "The reason why I wanted you to become my girlfriend... was because I secretly hoped you'd perhaps remember me. You just happened to come to the same sports club as I was in."

"I like you too. You're mine, Jellal," I said seductively, bringing his mouth to mine.

— • —

a/n: okay that was a kind of heated, rushed ending.

ERZA: What was that? *threatens author chan with sword* I don't act like that at all!

JELLAL: *just woke up* Hmm, what's wrong Scarlet?

ERZA: *blushes* N-nothing.

AUTHOR: I was just showing Erza this—

ERZA: DON'T YOU DARE! *slits author's throat*

Guys, two more chapters to go before the book’s finished! Thank you to all who have supported me with this jerza short story!