three | fake girlfriend

- erza -

The ball felt comfortable on my palms as I slammed it over the net, scoring a point. Sweat was visible everywhere on my body and my fingers itched to get rid of my wig. It felt sticky, disgusting and did not belong on my head at all.

"Good job, man!" A salmon-haired boy slapped my back so hard it reverberated through my body. He had a cute smile on his face, which reminded me of Lucy.

"We're definitely going to get the next score!" Another boy from across the net shouted back. The response was a swoon from the only audience-a light-blue haired girl, whose hair curled at the ends. She was also holding an umbrella, even though it was indoors and it wasn't even raining outside.

Still, I wished for her to be on my team. She seemed incredibly supportive as she came equipped with a banner that boasted only one name-'Gray-sama'.

"No way in hell, Ice-princess!"

"You watch, Flame Brain!"

The opposing team served, and we received. Flame Brain volleyed the ball to Fernandes, who then set the ball, and another male from behind spiked it. However, Gray dived forwards, saving the ball, causing the girl to cheer again. I wouldn't be surprised if she actually did perform a cheer dance there and then.

"New guy!" Fernandez called, passing it to me, but the split second of hesitation of not knowing who he was calling to caused us to lose a point.

"Sorry," I call back, making sure it was in a low voice.

Fernandes rushed towards me. "Sorry, miscommunication. What should I call you, then?"

"Erz-I mean, uhhh..."

"I'll call you Scarlet," Fernandes chuckled, pointing to my head. And then, I recalled that my wig was Scarlet too. Thank Mavis.

- • -

"Wahoo! We won!" Flame Brain cheered, pulling funny faces in front of Gray. The whole team roared into laughter as they hurried into the Boys Changing Room.

I sweat-dropped, waiting for them all to go inside before changing directions to the girl Changing Room. When all was silent, I exhaled deeply before speed-walking to the neighbouring Changing Room.

But before I could open the door, Fernandes had already finished and was making his way out of the boys changing room. Crap.

"Scarlet, you know that's the girl Changing Room."

"Oh, yeah, ha-ha. Actually, my sister left her kit in here so I'm just going to pick it up really quickly." I wanted to pound my head against the wall. "Can you keep a secret?" I tried, raising my eyebrow.

"Hmm, okay."

Blowing a strand of my wig's hair out of my face, I scurried into the changing room.

- • -

When I got out of the Changing Room, I was half way tying my scarlet hair into a ponytail. I nearly dropped Laxus' kit when I realised Fernandes was still in front of the door, leaning on the wall. He had been waiting.

"Errr, um..." Damnit, Erza! "Now you know!" I fake laughed.

Fernandes hurriedly put his index finger on top of his lips, shutting me up. He pointed to the boys changing room, where voices were getting louder.

I started panicking, racking my eyes to look for an escape route. It was a long hallway, so even if I ran, they'd see me. I was so screwed.

"Natsu! Wanna have kebab at our place?" A gruff voice offered.

"Sure! It better be spicy though."

The door opened and Natsu and another boy stared at me with a confused face.

"Ooh," the other boy said, "if you're gonna do it, don't do it here!"

I slowly turned my head to Fernandes who was leaning over me, one hand on the wall, blocking me. He smelt of sweat mixed with flowers. Although right now, sweat was more overpowering.

Suddenly feeling self-conscious of my own smell, I edged a bit to the side. "What, am I not allowed to kiss my girlfriend?" Fernandes said.

"Girlfriend?" Gray asked. There was a crowd gathering. "I never knew you were one for romance! Congrats, dude."

"Gray-sama, if you wanted a girlfriend, you know... Juvia's here..." the light-blue haired said flirtatiously.

Gray blushed furiously and everyone laughed. Fernandes took the chance to remove his arms away from me and I could now finally breathe.

"See ya around," Natsu said, breaking off from the group. "I'm getting kebab."

The group dispersed one by one until it was only me and Fernandez.

"G-girlfriend?" I choked. "Fernandes, how are we-"

"Since we're now in a 'relationship', you should start calling me Jellal, by the way." I blushed intensely.

"Wha-is that a joke?"

Jellal sighed. "It's hard for me, too, Scarlet." I blinked at the name. "Hell, I don't even know your proper name, cake snatcher."

"I prefer Scarlet, thanks."

He chuckled. "Anyway, since I've just saved you, shouldn't you return the favour of pretending to be my girlfriend?"

I sighed, looking away. "I guess, then." Looking at him directly in the eye, I said, "Then, Jellal, from today forth until I break up with you or whatever, I'll be your girlfriend."

Jellal flicked me gently on the forehead. "Nice to be your partner, Scarlet."

- • -
a/n: kinda a fast paced book, huh. I'm gonna try and make it a short story, so sorry if it seems rushed!

Remember to vote, comment and to add this book to your reading list! 😊