nine | stay

— erza —

"Ughhh I really hate exams," Lucy groaned, stretching her whole body over her desk. "I just want school to be over."

It was nearly the holidays, and we had planned to watch the fireworks in summer together. I'd never been before, and was looking forward to spending time with Jellal. "Exams are still important," Levy said. "Let's do well to graduate to third year!"

"Yeah..." Mirajane sighed, also lying on her desk. Sadness washed over her so it was too heavy for her to get up.

"You know what?" Lucy jumped up suddenly. "We should study together!"

I shook my head in disappointment. "My Grandfather doesn't allow me to hang out after school."

"For real?" Mirajane whined. "How're you supposed to go out with Jellal, then?"

Crossing my arms over my chest, I said solemnly, "We don't hang out that much."

Lately, the only times Jellal and I could properly hang out as a couple was during lunch times. Although we were still close during Volleyball Club, keeping a second identity whilst also pretending to have just a friend relationship with Jellal was difficult. Gray already suspected that Jellal was in fact gay.

"Hmm," Mirajane tapped her chin thoughtfully. "Not that it can't be helped..."

"Are you scheming something?" Levy asked worriedly. She had closed the book she was reading and was now taking out her stationary for the next class.

Mirajane raised an eyebrow and laughed, though it seemed more like a cackle. "Oh no, not at all.... not at all..."

— • —

Lunch time came by as a blur. I had been searching for Jellal, but whenever we made eye contact, he'd look away or pretend he didn't see me. Impatient by his indirect approach towards me, I cornered him in a hallway and gave him a back hug. Jellal tensed up immediately but relaxed into it soon after.

"You scared me," he breathed. "I thought you were going to hit me or something."

"Will you tell me what's wrong?" I ask quietly.

After a moment of pause, Jellal shifted in my embrace so that he was facing me instead. He placed his chin on my head and played with my hair. "I just want this. More time for just ourselves."

"Jellal, I—"

"I understand, Scarlet. I know you're busy studying, but we spend hardly any time together. It makes me feel... as if you prize studying over me."

I widen my eyes. I'd never thought he'd feel that way about our relationship. Pushing him back, I said desperately, "That's impossible! There would be no way I'd feel that!"

He smiled crookedly and tilted his head, his fingers still playing with strands of my hair. "I know. I've been unfair on you."

"So then why were you avoiding me?"

His eyes glazed over. "Well, the boys told me that avoiding you for a bit would make you act a bit more girly." He stared at our embrace with a distant gaze.

Finally realising what I was doing, I took a few steps back. "Stupid," I pouted, hitting him on the chest. "Stupid, stupid, stupid!"

Jellal pulled my head to his chest, letting warmth flow through his body into mine. "I know, I know. Sometimes I feel like I don't deserve you at all, Scarlet."

Somehow I felt water on the edges of my eyes. What was this? I hadn't felt tears in long time. Perhaps it was the relief that I didn't lose Jellal after all.

— • —

a/n: Jerza is the CUTEST