seven | company

— erza —

I winced at my newly formed bruises and straightened out my fingers whilst writing an essay. The room was locked from the outside. Untouched food sat by my desk, dust already collecting around it.

I sighed. Grandfather never allowed for any friends to come over and didn't allow me out of my room until after I finished my homework and then extra revision. It was now reaching eleven pm, and I was already beginning to have the urge to lie down and never wake up.

Lucy and everyone else were probably hanging out—they'd texted about it before. But there was no point wishing to join when it could never come true. Grandfather had cameras all around the house, except for bedrooms and bathrooms. Sneaking out into the front yard would only cause alarm through the whole neighbourhood.

Although I had a games room, swimming pool and garden, Grandfather never gave me enough time to appreciate them fully. Time only seemed to be able to drag its feet around the clock, the second hand just barely managing to catch up with the first. At times like this, I felt complete and utterly lonely.

"Psst." A knocking sound came from the window. Looking behind me, I saw rocks being thrown at my window. An intruder? Hurrying towards the window, I was preparing myself for a fight, one arm behind me for balance and the other near my chin. As soon as I caught sight of Jellal, I let out a relieved breath. "Let me in," he mouthed, clever enough to know there were cameras at play.

Unlocking the window, I allowed Jellal to come through, where he collapsed onto the floor. "Hell, you have so many cameras!"

"Tell me about it," I said. "Anyway, why are you here? Aren't you supposed to be hanging out with everyone else?"

Jellal shrugged. "It's not fair for you to miss out. I also just prefer your company..." his voice quietened at the end, and he spoke always wistfully.

He scratched the nape of his neck so that his tattoo was in full view. With a sudden urge, I reach towards it and run my fingers on top of it, tracing the artist's artwork. He gently placed my own hands into his. "Can you come somewhere with me today?"

"You mean, now?" I couldn't hide my own surprise.

"Y-Yeah. I've prepared something..."

I kissed him on his cheek. "I'd love to come. But we have to be quiet when escaping."

Jellal smiled. "Oh, I know that."

— • —

My hand was held tightly in Jellal's and I savoured the moment. The walk was quiet in the night and streetlights would flash occasionally, spotlighting the blush that dusted both mine and Jellal's faces. We both didn't say anything except from the occasional comment about what we could see, but when we arrived I couldn't contain my whole excitement.

"A theme park?!" I said quickly in a high voice. I looked back at him, eyes wide. "H-how?"

"I booked the tickets right after you said you wanted to go to one," he replied, still smiling. We were still holding hands, and he tugged on them lightly. "So, which one do you want to go on? You get the first pick."

With a sly grin, I pointed to the rollercoaster ride that had a loop-the-loop. "People always say that's fun."

"Adventurous," he admitted. "Well, if my princess wants it, I shall follow."

I hit him jokingly on his shoulder. "The name Scarlet is still preferable," I announce, but he only squeezes my hand in response.

As we sat on the seats, I rubbed my hands together, anticipation and a bit of fear bubbling inside of me. The rollercoaster had started moving—I turned to see Jellal's expression, but was met with pale skin and a stricken face. "Jellal, are you okay?" I said loudly, because the wind had begun to pick up.

"Wh—what? Oh yeah, I am, just enjoying the riiiiiiiiddddeeee!" The rollercoaster dipped and we were both swung forwards. I raised my hands in the air, half whooping, half screaming. My heart jumped up a few centimetres and my other organs were forced upwards, leaving me breathless.

"The loop is coming!" I yell, not minding Jellal involuntarily holding my sleeve. Grinning, I pull his whole arm into my lap, making him feel more secure. He looked towards me in shock, but was thrown upwards yet again as we rode the loop. Exhilaration swirled everywhere throughout my body. "This is fun," I commented, attempting to keep my cool.

Stripped of words, Jellal could only grunt. As we stepped out of the ride, my red hair now a mess on my forehead, I felt more alive than ever.

Trying to catch our breath, we took a seat on one of the brown benches. "I think we should stop this," I said, honestly.

Jellal turned towards me, opening his mouth as if to say something. Yet nothing came out.

"I mean, we should stop pretending. I think we should be real. A real couple."

I felt Jellal let out a long breath beside me. "I never considered us to be pretending anyways," he admitted. "So, we're real now?"

I but my cheek, pretending to be thinking about it. "Hmm, only if you get me some strawberry cake."

Jellal pushed back some of my hair from my cheek, laughing quietly. "Anything for you, Scarlet."

— • —

a/n: literally swooning as I was writing this.