five | jellal's himouto

— erza

Mirajane offered me some of her lunch, checking my expression for any signs of fatigue. "Erza, are you sure you're okay?"

"Yes," I smiled. "You've asked that sixteen times already."

Lucy and Levy puffed out their cheeks. "We'll get them back," Lucy promised with a resolute facial expression. Her pink lips were pursed, her eyes wide.

"What they did was evil!" Levy agreed.

Lucy saw my uneasy face and changed the subject. "Ahh, you know what, I'm jealous of all of you."

"Ehh, why?" Levy asked.

"You've all got boyfriends!" Lucy cried, throwing up her arms. Mirajane laughed. "I've got a crush but he acts like I'm nonexistent! And the guy I don't like keeps trying to win me over! After—how many rejections, Levy?"

"Ten rejections."

"Ouch, that's harsh, Lucy-chan!" Mirajane said. "Why don't you just give him a chance?"

Lucy sighed. "He's too daft to know that he already does like someone else, and they return his feelings." She rolled his eyes. "Aries, of course!"

"Luce! Wanna hang out after school today?" The cheerful, salmon-haired bounded up to Lucy like a lost puppy.

I looked towards Mirajane and Levy, asking them if Lucy's crush was Natsu without saying it out loud. Smirking, Levy nodded, making small love heart shapes with her hands.

Not wanting to overhear their private conversation, I continued to eat my lunch, only to smell the familiar scent of flowers—Jellal. "Hey, is it okay if we eat with you guys? All the tables are taken."

"Sure," Mirajane said. She scooted over so that Jellal could sit next to me instead. Gajeel, Gray and Natsu also took their seats, Juvia making sure she got the seat next to Gray.

"So, I wanna know," Levy said seriously, "how did you guys meet?" She looked between Jellal and I, an eyebrow raised.

Jellal and I looked at each other, not sure whether to speak the truth or not. Mirajane, who suspected what happened, cut in. "Actually, how did you and Gajeel meet?"

Blushing, Gajeel let Levy do the speaking. "I was Gajeel's tutor for... all of the subjects," she spoke shyly. "And it kind of started from there."

"That's so cute!" Lucy gushed, whilst all of the boys looked awkward. "Mira, have you been on any dates with Laxus?"

"Of course!" She said voice rising in excitement. "We went to—"

I wished that I could be truthful with all of my friends, but if the truth did spread, I'd be kicked out of the volleyball team. Watching Mira now, jealousy tugged deep inside of me. If my relationship wasn't fake, I wondered what types of dates I would've been on, instead of pretending.

"—There was one time we went to a theme park–"

"A theme park?!" I squealed. "I've never been!" Grandfather had never given me free time to go out and have fun.

Jellal asked, "You like theme parks?"

I blushed, embarrassed. "It seems like a fun place to go, so yeah."

His eyes crinkled when he smiled. "Me too. We should go some time."

Looking down at my hands, I held them tightly together. "Yeah," I finally breathed out.

— • —

Walking home from school, I noticed a small blue haired girl outside of the school gates holding a cake in her hands.

"Excuse me, are you lost?" I bend down to her level, thinking about how similar she looks to Jellal. Although her hair was a darker shade of blue, her face was similar nonetheless.

"Ahh, no, I'm waiting for my brother, Jellal." She gasped and covered her mouth quickly. "Sorry, my brother says I'm not supposed to be talking to strangers!"

I lean my head on one side. "I can help you deliver the cake to him—I'm in the same class and he has an after-school Club today."

"R-really?" The little girl covered her mouth again. "You have red hair! It's so pretty!" She reached for my hair and curled her fingers through them. "Are you my brother's girlfriend? She's called Scarlet."

Diverting my gaze, I blushed involuntarily. "Y-yes, I am."

"Then—then this cake is meant for you! My brother asked for me to wait for you outside." The girl opened the cardboard box for the cake and I peered in. To my shock, the strawberry cake was squashed, the chocolate beside it smeared everywhere.

"Sorry," the girl said sadly. "I dropped it on the way here." Her expression fell—she looked as though she was about to cry.

Not knowing what to do, I gave her a small hug. "That's okay, I'll help you bake a new cake! And this time, we'll eat it together, okay?"

The small girl nodded. "Okay!" She cheered. "You can call me Wendy by the way!"

— • —

a/n: I had to alter Wendy's age a bit—she's about nine in this story!

Remember to vote, comment and to add this book to your reading list! 😜