four | pushover

— erza —

"School ended two hours ago! You are late to your martial arts training class!" I flinched as my Grandfather yelled at me, blocking my path to my room.

I bowed my head. My family were the highest in ranking in martial arts, and had been for generations. After showing promise in martial arts from the age of eight, Grandfather had made it compulsory for me to train every evening to become better than my 'failure of a mother'.

"You know the consequences, yet to choose to be late by your own accord?"

"Sorry, Grandfather," I apologised. "It won't happen again." I bit my lip—of course it will, since I'll be joining Volleyball Club every Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening. "Grandfather, do you think it's okay if I try another sport?"

"Of course not!" He snapped. "Our family is famous for martial arts—it is our pride! Now get your ass to your private lesson!"

— • —

Panting heavily by the entrance of Grandfather's door, still in my martial arts uniform, I knocked at the door. "Grandfather!" I called, my voice hoarse from the training. It was harder than usual—I was sure Grandfather asked my sensei to do so on purpose.

After hearing his voice of approval, I stepped into the room wearily, where books full of martial arts lined up and overfilled the bookshelves on every wall. There was no pause for breath, no gap in the room for anything else except a small window for light, and the old chair Grandfather sat next on.

"What's wrong?" I asked. It was usually time for my homework and study—Grandfather didn't want me to fail school like the previous one.

"This." He pulled up a sheet full of my test marks. "You're getting C scores!"

"T-That was last term's. I'm working harder, I swear!" My voice was frantic. It was a taboo to fail him, to fail my family. Being an only child meant the fate of the future relied on my shoulders. I couldn't let the pride we kept for so long shatter because of me.

Grandfather glared at me through the rim of his glasses. "You are to study until 3am in the morning. No rest. And no dinner!"

— • —

My feet dragged behind me as I rubbed my eyes, opening up my locker. I had to blink twice to decipher the sight in front of me.

All of my books were ripped and scattered on the floor. Scrawled onto my locker were the words "Jellal's plaything" written in a harsh red marker pen.

The whole hall erupted into laughter, leaving me to scowl pathetically in the centre of it all. I cursed under my breath, clenching and unclenching my fists to keep my temper neutral. Things were starting to get blurry—everything lost its shape, warping into something new.

"New girl, you should know your place," someone said, before I felt something hard push my back so I fell face-forwards onto the floor. Cold liquid was poured down my back, and I arched my back at the bite of it. I felt weak and powerless, unable to move.

But most of all, humiliated.

"Get away from her," Jellal's voice came out rushing, and the sensation of cold liquid on my back irked me again. I tried to push myself up, but the harsh martial arts training from yesterday evening made it spasm and useless.

Warm arms wrapped around me, attempting to pull me up. I pushed them away, blinking back tears as I registered Jellal in front of me. "Let me walk," I croaked.

"You can barely stand!" He whispered harshly.

"If I walk..." I said, glancing at the jeering crowd, "They won't think I'm that weak that I need to be carried."

He hesitated, but helped me stand to my own two feet. During the process, I heard him whisper "You're weird", to which I smiled at.

The crowd parted around Jellal's strong aura as he supported me towards the nurse's office. It was still early, and he was worried that the nurse hadn't arrived at school yet. "Sorry," he said sheepishly.

"Sorry for making me your girlfriend, or sorry for the consequences?"

He bit his lip. "Well, both."

"Don't be," I shrugged. "You can't be sorry for being popular and having girls always swoon over you."

He rung the doorbell to the nurse's office, but turned back to me immediately. "Are you jealous?" He arched an eyebrow.

"I'd be lying if I said I wasn't. But we're not even official, so you're free to do what you want."

"Even kissing... the girl I really like?"

My breath hitched in my chest. I'd never considered that he'd have a real crush—the thought made me feel stupid and idiotic. All the hope of him actually liking me vanished in an instant, taken away by my next breath. Now all that was left inside of me was emptiness.

"If—if it's your choice," I said, but my voice was strangely quiet.

"Scarlet, look at me." I hadn't been aware that my gaze had been avoiding him. Reluctantly, I looked straight at his eyes—only to see that they were closed. He slowly inched his head forwards, allowing me to bail if I wished. Impatient with his slowness, I gripped the back of his smooth hair, bringing him closer towards me.

I was filled with sensations of euphoria and happiness, but under that layer was a strange feeling of longing. Longing of wanting more, of wishing that I always felt like this.

But just like that, he took his mouth away from mine. I looked at him, expectant, but he just smiled.

A small cough from behind me made me nearly jump out of my own skin. "The nurse is waiting for you," Jellal whispered close to my ear, and I rolled my eyes.

I doubted it looked annoyed when a grin was already spreading across my lips.

— • —

a/n: THEY'RE SO CUTE!!

Remember to vote, comment and to add this book to your reading list! 😊