chapter one

"What is that light?" My boyfriend Zuko, the banished prince of the Fire Nation pointed towards the sky, "Uncle, Mo, are you guys seeing this?" He turned his attention towards me and Iroh as his long ponytail blowed in the wind.

"Does this mean we can't finish our game?" Iroh sighed as he let his air tile pieces fall out of his hands. I quickly copied him, laying mine calmly onto the table so the positions wouldn't change. I loved playing games and doing activities with the retired general, he was also like a father figure to me. Sometimes i think Zuko doesn't give him enough credit for everything he does.

"Forget that, it could be the avatar! It's such a great source, it must mean something." He took strides towards us, taking my hand and helping me up, then wrapping his arm around my waist as he looked down at his uncle. Iroh let out another sigh, he hates it when his games are interrupted, especially if it's Pai Sho.

"Prince Zuko, it might just be celestial lighting, what if it isn't related to the avatar at all? He's been gone for over a hundred years." Iroh spoke calmly, not bothering to stand up along with me. "Besides, why don't you and Motoko join me for some calming tea?" He grabbed his teapot along with a cup and gave us a wide smile.

"I don't need any calming tea!" Zuko shouted and let go of me a little too roughly, storming towards the end of the boat, clearly rejecting the man's offer in a rude manner.

That's what it's like to date such an angry guy. I really do love Zuko, but he's too obsessed with capturing the avatar. I can't say i know what it's like to be kicked out of your own home, but i can imagine how he feels. I only came along to support Zuko and help him restore his honor. I had the choice to stay in my nation and be with my family, but i didn't. Now i'm realizing that only Zuko can restore his own honor. If Fire Lord Ozai truly cared about his son, he wouldn't have banished him so willingly. Even if Zuko had the avatar, i personally think he wouldn't accept him back, and he would continue to favour Azula, Zuko's little sister, over him like he always has. Deep down i know Iroh and i are on the same page.

"Head a course towards that light!" Zuko demanded as he pointed to the captains of our ship, signaling them to follow the unknown source of light we've come across.

"Shall we continue once we have free time?" Iroh stood up and put his hand over my shoulder, giving it a light squeeze. Zuko doesn't do much with his uncle, which makes me hope Iroh is at least thankful he has me to have a little fun with around here.

"Not a problem. But right now i think i should talk to Zuko privately, do you mind giving us a few minutes?" i requested as i smiled at my favourite elder.

"I'll be inside, Lightning Queen." Iroh accepted and walked towards the entrance. He gave me that nickname a long time ago, since i perfected the art of bending lightning. I guess it made me feel happy as a child, so he decided not to let go of it. I've always been a bit special in this case, and i've even been considered quicker and overall better at it than Azula, who is known to be a prodigy. As the Fire Lord would say, she was born lucky. However, I was lucky to even have the ability to bend lightning. For some reason i've been unable to produce fire, so i'm not like the other firebenders. No one could figure out why i'm like this.

"Hey Zu-Zu." I walked up to my boyfriend and put my arms around his neck, laying my head onto his shoulder. He relaxed as i touched him and let out a short and silent sigh.

"Please, don't call me that. I think of my sister everytime. I can't believe she made up that name for me." He spoke in annoyance.

"But you like it when i say it, admit it." He didn't answer me, instead he changed the subject.

"Mo, this could be it. We can go home." A small smile appeared on his face, he then leaned down and kissed my forehead, then looked back up at the light as the boat we were on got closer to it.