Rise Up

This chapter was written by Noella.

Eliza's POV:

Maria was a reck. Laf pretty much was an orphan. He got lost in that portal, leaving him in the void.

He learned the ways and secrets of the void. He called himself The Keeper of The Void.

But he didn't feel included. We were truly keepers, he didn't have a key.

But that can change...

I sat by Laf's side. He lay lifeless in the hospital bed. Nobody else was in the room.

I gently lifted my key. I took his breathing machine plug. I unplugged it. I had to move fast.

I quickly placed my key in place of the plug's outlet. The outlet sparked blue, I quickly took my key out and plugged the machine back in.

Within seconds, he opened his eyes. He blinked a few times, then looked at me. He smiled softly.

"Thank you." He whispered.

I nodded. I went and got the others.

"Laf! I'm so, so, so sorry..." Maria sobbed.

"Shh, it's not your fault. I should've payed attention." He replied, hugging her tightly.

The doctors were confused. They looked at their charts, then at the machine.

"I don't understand... He was literally lifeless... Brain dead!" One doctor said.

"It was simply a miracle." I said quickly.

I didn't want any one to know that I revived him. I wanted to protect him. I wanted him to be one of us.

After taking him home, I did some research.

The Seven Keys are simply a legend. Or so the world thought. The legend says that every 200 years, seven special children are born and are given special keys that hold power. Their job is to protect the world.

But this story has no origin. No background information. Not even how keepers came to be.

But I found something incredible.

An 8th key.

The Key of The Void.

My jaw dropped. I didn't know there was an 8th key! But if there's an 8th key, there's an 8th keeper...

Making Laf the 8th Keeper!

I ran to the secret room. I went through the portal and into the void. I had to find this key.

I searched for hours. Finally, under the only source of light, there was a door.

When I opened it, I saw the craziest thing ever.

Eight children. They were sitting in a garden... Our garden...

It was our house, just more colonial. Like... A 200 year old house. But it was defiantly ours.

The girls wore dresses, the boys in coats with ruffled shirts. They looked like they belonged in the late 1700s to early 1800s.

There were four girls and four boys. They were holding the keys. They started speaking.

"They look magical!" Said one girl.

"Beth, you're so childish." One boy said.

"Hush, Miles. I'm very sure they're magical!" Another girl said.

"Why are they glowing?" A boy asked.

Suddenly, with the keys around their necks, they formed into similar outfits that we wore when in the void.

"My key!" Said one of the boys. He was dressed in all black.

His key flew into the portal. It landed in my hand.

But no one saw the portal, or me. They looked scared. But I could no longer see anything else.

Instead, the portal took me out of the secret room. I was back in the house.

I was shook. I ran to Laf's room (he was staying with us, there turned out to be an extra room).

"Laf! I have to tell you something." I said.

I explained everything. He stared at the key in my hand.

"It's all yours, buddy." I said.

I placed it around his neck. It glowed for a bit, but it lay gently. My key glowed, too. He was truly a Keeper.

"I'M A KEEPER! WEEEEEEEE!" He shouted.

I laughed at his child-like behaviour. The others came in. I had even more explaining to do.

His power was simple: Take care of the void and guide those who come across it.

Our parents were quite pleased. I was proud of myself. And Laf.

He hugged me. We didn't say anything, but he just hugged me. He was finally included. That meant a lot.

We are the Eight Keepers Of The World.

Angelica.

Eliza.

Peggy.

Alex.

John.

Maria.

Thomas.

And Laf.