[01] The Cottage Of Dreams

A calm breeze engulfed the forest making the trees sway gently, one fine day in mid July. In the middle of the woods, stood a clearing with an inviting atmosphere and a fresh stream ran nearby. Right in the clearing was a dainty little cottage, with flowering shrubs creeping elegantly at the sides. Twisting and turning on one end of its walls was a vine of poison ivy, creating an intricate design that contrasted with the pale pink bricks.

The whole surrounding spoke of a mysterious calm and tranquility that could capture anyone's heart effortlessly. A young man of decent height stood by the trees observing the cottage with a small smile on his face. By the way he was leaning against the trunk, eyes scanning the whole area, it could be easily assumed that he was waiting for someone.

Soon enough, two young women appeared from within the dense forestry. One of them had brown hair much identical to his, while the other had beautiful red hair rippling down to her waist.

"Perseus, there you are. Do you have any idea that we were searching for you in the entire woods?" the one with the brown hair, Demelza, spoke up, "you should have been more specific with your directions. This clearing was much deeper than what you had told us earlier."

Perseus shook his head in an apologetic nod, "I might not have noticed that, dear cousin. But as you're finally here, I may as well show you around."

He extended his arm towards the redhead who took it immediately, attempting to hide the faint blush creeping up to her face.

"Absolutely, but I think your sentence needs a little rephrasing. You may as well show Renata around, that's what you meant right?"

He let out a low chuckle, "if that's what you think, so be it." Turning to Renata, he added, "shall we?"

She nodded in affirmation as he led her towards the cottage. Renata was beyond entranced by the beauty of the surroundings, "this is unbelievable... Are we really going to live here?"

"Of course," he replied with a soft smile, "after we get married, that is. This will be our home."

Demelza joined in on the conversation, "I think it will be better if I leave you to your future plannings in solace. When you both are done examining this place, let me know. I will be by the stream."

After she had left, Perseus took Renata inside unlocking the door with a silver key. "It's scarcely furnished as of now, but you'll have plenty of opportunities to set that right."

"I like it just the way it is," she replied as she examined the rustic furniture, her eyes skimming over every aspect of the cottage in delight. "We could add a few flowers here and there and it would be simply perfect."

Perseus silently observed her as she examined everything carefully, remarking how beautiful it was and how lucky they were to have found that place. While she was reveling in the plain beauty of the cottage, he was reveling in the beauty exuding from her.

At times he couldn't believe that this epitome of beauty and grace was his fiance. At times he pondered on what good he might have done in his life to receive such a wonderful gift in the form of his betrothed, Renata Fawley.

While she was caught up in the simple charm of the place, he was imagining how life would be like after they moved in. He could picture himself and her decorating the cottage with equally beautiful flowers, hanging handwoven baskets in the living room and living together in absolute bliss and harmony.

He was shaken out of his imageries when she grasped his arm again, "I'm afraid all this is a dream... It's just... Too good to be true."

He looked at her to see that her face that was radiant with happiness before had an unfathomable expression written clearly across it. "I think it's about time you start believing in dreams, Renata. This is a dream; a dream that will come true in just a matter of days."

"I wish it comes true," her enchanting smile spread on her features once again, "this is all I have ever wanted."

Gently cupping her face in his hands, he placed a light kiss on her forehead, "I will do my best to make every single dream of yours come true. I promise."

"I know," she spoke, "but my most cherished dream is to one day be yours for eternity."

He smiled in reply, "and that dream is what will come true first of all... Soon."

"Now if you two lovebirds have stopped confessing your undying love for each other, I think it's time to go back to town," Demelza stepped in and announced, "you know Uncle Caractacus will be furious not to find you looking after the shop, Perce. And if we stay here any longer, my family and Renata's would send out a search party for us."

"She's right, we must go now," Renata agreed.

Perseus nodded in reply, "we must. I am grateful you brought her here, Demi. And it was lovely to see you again, Miss Fawley."

Demelza laughed, "Miss Fawley now, is she? I know everything about you two so you better stop playing formal in front of me."

Both of them had smiles on their faces at that remark from Demelza. Deep down both of them were happy. They were waiting for the time to come when they would be united once and for all.

And as Demelza took her hand in order to leave the forest, she turned back for one final glance at Perseus.

He was standing at the same spot where they had seen him earlier. Seeing her turn back, he lifted his hand in farewell to which she smiled and gently waved back.

The sunlight was fading gradually indicating the coming of sunset. After both the girls had gone, he locked the cottage and disapparated picturing a twisted and cobblestoned alley in his mind; Knockturn Alley.

With a mild crack, he vanished and the clearing was empty once again. There wasn't a single movement except the eventual creeping of the ivy that grew on the far side of the cottage. Gradually yet steadily, the plant had dug it's roots and was determined to climb higher and higher as if it was reaching up for a destination with great resolution.

If it wasn't taken care of soon, the ivy would cover up the entire cottage in a few months. If it wasn't taken care of, soon only the ivy would be visible and there would be no sign of the peaceful little cottage buried inside.

***