[47] Confronting The Traitor

The Malfoys had just reached the Manor after paying the Burkes a visit, but were surprised to see Mulciber standing at the front gate. He looked rather disheveled, eyes wide from either fear or shock.

Abraxas told Aquila and Lucius to go inside, while he went up to him to question what was wrong with him.

"Abraxas... The Dark Lord is extremely angry at you. He ordered me to bring you to him instantly or else he had threatened to burn your manor down with everyone inside."

The color drained from Abraxas's face, "why is he angry?"

"He had asked me to report to him about Whitburg and that's exactly what I did," Mulciber continued in a fervor, "but he got out of control when I told him about Whitburg's marriage to Herbert Burke's daughter."

Abraxas understood at once, of course Riddle would get out of control. And no wonder he must have figured out that Abraxas had been purposefully lying to him about Whitburg's whereabouts.

He braced himself and spoke, "I'm coming with you. But let me see Aquila and Lucius first."

Mulciber nodded, "just hurry up."

Abraxas rushed inside where both his wife and son were waiting, equally worried for him. He was fully aware that Lord Voldemort wouldn't spare him and that was probably his last time with his family.

"What happened? What does the Dark Lord want?" Aquila spoke up, anxiety dripping from her features.

"Aquila, Lucius... I fear I may not ever return if I go see him now."

She recoiled in horror and even Lucius was quite terrified at the statement.

"But Dad... What about us?"

"Lucius, my son, you have to stay strong for both your mother and yourself. After me, you're the one who will bear the Malfoy family's responsibility on your shoulders. Promise me, son, that you will keep our family together. No matter what happens, whether I live or die, whether war breaks out or peace remains... You have to keep in mind that family always comes first."

"Dad, I promise. I won't let you down," his voice was heavy but his steel blue eyes were determined.

Abraxas embraced him for what he feared was the last time and gently took Aquila's hand in his, "I will try my best to persuade the Dark Lord. I will do all it takes to return to you both. But if in case I don't come back... Just know that I died protecting my family. I love you both and nothing can change that. Even till my last breath..."

Mulciber had stepped in, interrupting their last moment together, "Abraxas, he'll kill us both if we pause even for a minute longer!"

He didn't want to part with them but he knew he had to or else the Dark Lord would destroy all of his family. Aquila sank down to the floor dissolving in her tears. But Lucius knelt down to support her, trying his best to console his mother.

With one last glance at his family, Abraxas stepped into the fireplace along with Mulciber, using Floo Network to go back to the Dark Lord's lair where the menacing jaws of agonizing torture awaited him.

***

"Crucio!"

Abraxas had lost count of how many times the Cruciatus Curse had been inflicted on him. Tom was furious beyond limits for he had never expected him to betray him. Abraxas had been Riddle's dorm mate at Hogwarts even and it seemed as if he was the only person Tom could tolerate back in his school days.

One of the very first to join him and the only one who had stuck with him through thick and thin, Abraxas had become the most trusted man in all of Tom's followers.

That was precisely why his betrayal had shocked Tom greatly and it seemed as if he simply couldn't cope with it.

At last he withdrew the curse and Abraxas, who had been writhing in agony, collapsed on the ground in a bloodied heap.

"You knew about Whitburg all along, didn't you?" Tom bent down close to him, voice coming out in a threatening whisper, "you were fully aware that he had married Demelza, yet you dare feign ignorance in front of me! Do you have any idea what I do to those who dare disobey my orders?"

Each muscle in his body was aching terribly and it took a lot of effort for him to speak, "my Lord... I was only... following the orders... you had given me."

"Liar!" he roared, "had I not ordered you to keep me updated on Whitburg's doings? Had I not ordered you to keep an eye on him and prevent him from imparting his evidence regarding us to the Ministry? Answer me!"

Abraxas coughed, blood spewing out of his mouth, "the last order... you gave me... was to... protect Eridanus and his... mother. I was simply... following that order."

Tom's eyes narrowed as if contemplating his words, "and how does withholding the news of that blasted wedding contribute in the order you were following?"

"My Lord... if I had told you," the pain had begun to die down and he was slowly gaining command over his body which had been quite numb from excessive torture before, "I wasn't certain how you would... take it. I feared... for Demelza and Eridanus. I feared that... That you would not spare them."

Tom was silent for a while, realizing that he was right. If he had come to know of it at that instant, his anger would have been uncontrollable. And it was more than probable that out of extreme rage he could have harmed Demi and his son.

"My Lord... I have only... been faithful to you. Each order of yours is sacred... to me. I would never... dare to join any other side than yours."

Tom's anger had begun to subside gradually. He was starting to see the whole situation clearly now, understanding that Abraxas had done all he could to protect Demelza and Eridanus. He had not betrayed him, instead he was still as faithful to him as he had been from the very beginning.

"Very well then," he spoke up at last, deciding to pardon him, "the Dark Lord is merciful and grants forgiveness to those who are truly loyal to him. You have proved yourself once again, Abraxas. Hence, I will pardon you."

"Thank you, my Lord... I'm most grateful."

"On one condition," Riddle interjected, which slightly alarmed him, "your family shall remain loyal to me only. If any Malfoy dares to join the other side, I will make sure that each and every one of you meet a terrible end."

Abraxas knew it was a dreadful condition for he never wanted Lucius to trapped in the cage of Riddle's service, but now it seemed as if there was no other option left.

He bowed his head akin to a faithful servant, "I assure you, my Lord... The Malfoys will remain faithful to you... From the second they were born till their very last breath."

He had uttered those words with a heavy heart, knowing that by doing so he was trapping his whole family in the evil webs spun by Lord Voldemort. He was caging himself, his wife and his son as well as all the future generations that were to come and binding them to the command of a despotic and heartless ruler.

But what other choice did he have? If he refused, the Dark Lord would undoubtedly murder every single Malfoy and he couldn't bear to be responsible for their painful deaths.

"Indeed," Riddle's face depicted triumph, "I hope you remember your words and instill it in the minds of your family as well. You may leave now."

Abraxas limped over to the fireplace, not being able to walk properly even. He knew he had sacrificed his family's freedom in exchange for their lives. It was a terrible choice indeed and in both cases, the Malfoys were the ones bearing the loss. The only thing that mattered was which option caused lesser damage.

***