[56] Change Of Plans

After Danny's warning, Perce had arrived at Hogsmeade to stay with Demelza and Nathan. He had later on sent a letter to his aunt and uncle, telling them about his decision and they had agreed, saying they would visit soon as well.

With the increasing attacks, the burden on the Minister had increased as well and many people thought that Eugenia Jenkins was not fit to handle the current crisis. A rift had sprung up among the wizarding community with most of the wizards going against Jenkins as well.

Though the Ministry was using all possible means and resources to battle the Dark Forces, not much had been achieved. Every morning, the Daily Prophet had headlines of another severe attack on whole towns and villages, instead of just targeting particular members.

It had been a few months since Perce was staying with the Whitburgs. He went back to check up on Belvina and Herbert as well and they too visited often but mostly Perce spent his time at Hogsmeade.

Nathan used to come home late from the Ministry but he kept Perce updated about all that was happening because he knew Perce had known Riddle for much longer than them and could probably help them in figuring out his next move.

"Mother and Father are coming over tomorrow," Demelza spoke as she laid out the breakfast. 

Perce had received the owl post, tearing off the envelope to reveal the issue of Daily Prophet. Taking the magazine, he took his seat at the table. While Nathan had already left for the Ministry earlier. 

"Has Danny sent any letter?" she took the mail from him but he shook his head in a no.

Eridanus had started his fourth year at Hogwarts and the last they had seen of him was at the Hogsmeade Station when the term had begun. Ever since then, there had been absolutely no letters and with the increasing attacks, even the Hogsmeade weekends had been minimized by the school so the boy hadn't visited even.

"I think the mail and Floo conversations at Hogwarts are being closely monitored. Perhaps that's why he isn't writing anymore."

"Oh," she placed down the envelopes, "that's strange."

But Perce's attention was elsewhere as he straightened, eyes fixed on the most recent attack reported. "Demi, when had you talked to Aunt and Uncle?" 

Surprise crossed her features, "why? Last night, I suppose."

His face had paled but he didn't reply just yet, eyes skimming over the article. Voldemort and his followers had attacked Wiltshire, despite the fact that were was almost no wizarding population in the county except for the Burkes.

"Perce, what happened?"

He knew he couldn't tell her anything without confirming that his aunt and uncle were safe, because then she would get extremely anxious and he didn't want it to happen.

"Let me talk to Nathan first," he stood up, folding the magazine so that she wouldn't see it for herself, "I'll just be back in a moment."

She knew he was purposefully hiding something for her, "Perce... You're freaking me out."

He gently held her by the arms in a reassuring gesture, "there's nothing to worry about."

"I fear it's about Mother and Father. And you're not telling me," her lip quivered as fear had dug its claws deep inside her, "they aren't... They aren't hurt, right? Perseus..."

He knew not what to say to her, "I don't know. I can't say anything as of now." He gently made her sit down on the couch, "look, Demi, I want you to stay here and be on your guard while I try to contact Nathan, okay?"

"Why can't you use this fireplace? Why are you going to your own room," her grip tightened on his wrist, "Perseus, I will not let you hide anything from me purposefully."

He sighed wearily, nodding his head a little before going to the living room's fireplace. Sprinkling in the Floo Powder, he tried to get a connection to the Ministry but it got disrupted. He tried twice but to no avail.

Concern flickered on his face as Demelza spoke up, "why don't you contact Mother first? Check if they are alright?"

Knowing that it was worth a shot, he tried to connect to the fireplace at the Burke abode but the connection got terminated, further increasing his worries.

"Maybe the whole Floo Network is being monitored," he mumbled at last in conclusion, "maybe it is better if we don't contact anyone lest it gets intercepted."

***

It was near evening and both the cousins were gripped by an uncertain wave of fear. Perseus had wanted to apparate to the Burke household in order to check up on Belvina and Herbert but he could not afford to leave Demelza on her own for that could be an even greater risk.

The two had passed the whole day in anxiety, not being able to connect with anyone and though Perce had sent out a few letters, there was a high chance that the mail could have been intercepted.

The fire in the hearth crackled, attracting their attention and shortly afterwards Nathan stepped out of it. He looked rather disheveled and soon as he had stepped out of the fireplace, he put out the fire, turning over quickly to lock all the doors and windows in the house. 

"Nathan, what happened?" Demelza had rushed over to him in concern.

"We don't have enough time," he spoke up rather out of breath, "Perseus, place all the protective enchantments you know around this place. I'll do the same. Demi, stay away from the doors and windows."

"But what's going on...?"

"The Death Eaters attacked Wiltshire last night. It is highly possible that they will turn up here next," he dreaded the outcomes but knew he had to tell her, "they burnt down your family home."

Her eyes widened in alarm and she held on to him, "but Mother... Father..."

"They were inside when the attack happened," Nathan supported her though his voice was heavy, "nothing's left now."

The shock was too much for Demelza for it seemed as if she had gone numb, frozen in fear. Perseus knew that was bound to happen and deep down he blamed himself for leaving Belvina and Herbert. He hadn't known that Riddle would attack them first instead of Nathan or else he would never have left.

But then realization struck him. Riddle had not intended to attack Belvina and Herbert alone, he was also after Perseus. And since Perce had not been finished in the attack, contrary to Riddle's plans, the Whitburg abode was at high risk of a sudden attack as well.

A tumultuous crash shook them and Perce held his wand out, "they're here."

"I had alerted the Auror department," Nathan had to let Demi be as he stood up too in order to defend the place, "they must be here now if they believed what I said."

"It's too late," Perce was strengthening the shields around the cottage but knew it would be broken apart any moment, "I can't hold this up much longer."

One by one the windows started to shatter, panic coursing through their veins. In a sudden reflexive action, Nathan grabbed both Demi and Perce's hands and disapparated. Soon as they vanished, the protective shields around the house were burst apart, the tiny cottage lighting up on flames shortly afterwards.

***