[08] Mildly Suspicious

From the past few days, Tom always felt an exhilarating rush of triumph whenever he locked eyes with Perseus Burke. He could see that he was succeeding in slowly succumbing the latter to his downfall; those blue eyes grew dimmer and more erratic by each passing day, much to his utmost delight.

He knew he was gradually but eventually heading closer to his goals. Just like poison ivy, he was creeping over Perseus, strengthening his hold over him by eroding all of his mental peace. With each cleverly thought out sentence and each subtle gesture, he was slowly penetrating deep into the young Burke's mind, making sure to leave him absolutely helpless against him.

Raveling in the perfection of his plan, he decided to take a short stroll through the woods located not very far from the town. Tom took great pleasure in going for long silent walks in the forest. He felt quite comfortable with the tranquility of the place, where nothing but fresh streams and dense trees offered solace to the wanderer.

By then, it had become quite a habit for him to embark on his trip through the forest, each evening after his shift as well as in the ten minutes in which he took tea with Perce. He knew very well that Perseus was never willing for him to stay and provide company much longer than it was necessary, but Tom also had a habit of doing the exact opposite just in order to rile him up.

It hadn't been long since he was wandering in the silent forest when he heard a few voices nearby. Slightly curious to see who it could be, he followed the sound and reached a neat clearing. A fresh stream ran close by a dainty little cottage, set in the middle of the clearing surrounded by beautiful flowering shrubs and a small fenced garden. 

He had been to that clearing a few times before, but that day it seemed as if there were some other people visiting aside from him as well. Edging closer, he recognized the sound of abrupt laughter at once.

Demelza Burke.

Setting a smile on his face, he stepped into the clearing and was met by the sight of Demelza and the beautiful Fawley he had seen back at the shop. By the looks of it, the two of them were tending to the plants in the garden.

"Mister Riddle," she paused upon seeing him and even Renata turned to face the newcomer.

"Good evening, Miss Burke," he bowed respectfully, lowering his eyes in a rather gentlemanly manner, "Miss Fawley."

He understood that the peaceful cottage was either a property of the Burkes or the Fawleys, for it seemed to him as if the two of them were rather familiar with the whole place. Besides, it would be quite unlikely for them to tend a garden of an abandoned cottage in the wood otherwise.

Renata recognized him from her school days since he had been Head Boy at Hogwarts. Tom Riddle, the most popular Slytherin who had also received an Award for Special Services to the School. 

And yet he was working as a mere apprentice at Borgin and Burkes. 

No wonder Perseus found him weird; even Ren thought about his career choice to be a little too demeaning for such an outstanding student like him.

"It's rather unexpected to see such lovely ladies wandering in the forest, I may add," he remarked politely, hoping to get a reply out of Demelza.

Sure enough Demi was about to reply but much to his surprise, Renata took the lead, "it's equally surprising to see straight O students working as artifact dealers, Mister Riddle."

His grey eyes automatically flickered in her direction, widening in surprise, "ah... Have we had the pleasure of meeting before? At Hogwarts I presume, but I'm afraid I don't quite recall."

"Fortunately not," she shook her head, "but it shouldn't be such a surprise; all students are aware of the Head Boy."

His smile turned into a lighthearted chuckle, "fair point." After a short pause, he added, "I hope I'm not being much of an inconvenience to you, but may I borrow your friend here for a short walk? Only if you allow, that is."

She glanced for a moment at Demelza, an eyebrow raised skeptically as she remarked, "shouldn't you be asking her?"

"I thought she wouldn't have any objection. Apologies if I'm wrong."

Renata had been quick to notice the slight chemistry between Tom and her best friend. She had taken note of each remark from their short encounter and at the way Demi's face had a faint reddish tinge to it, she could easily ascertain there was something going on between the two.

"I don't have any objection. If Demi wants to go for a walk, you may take her. I'll be here in the garden," she replied, "but don't venture too far."

"Thank you, Miss Fawley," he graciously dipped his head in a nod, then offered his hand to Demelza, gently leading her out of the clearing. 

Renata turned back to the shrubs she was watering, though her face was set in a thoughtful expression. True, she had known Tom Riddle just briefly at the school through various accounts of him from the other students and teachers.

A star student, a rather handsome Prefect and a favorite of almost all the teachers... To her, Riddle had always seemed too perfect to be true. She couldn't understand how one person could have all the qualities most sought after in the world; not only was he attractive but he was also extremely intelligent.

His unearthly perfection was what always made Ren slightly suspicious of him and that's why even in her school days, she had kept her distance from him. 

But right then as she watched the two walking together hand in hand, laughing at some joke Tom had come up with, it was more than clear to her that he was indeed courting Demelza. She tried to keep her focus on the plants but the sight before her was rather unusual, causing her to get distracted momentarily.

Back at school, Tom had been rather polite and amiable with everyone but she had never seen him exhibit such an informal behavior. It seemed as if he was quite genuinely interested in Demelza and that feeling was what bothered Ren most. 

At Hogwarts, nearly all the girls were so dead gone for his good looks and charm, he could be with anyone he desired and yet he was showing interest in simple and sweet Demelza Burke.

When she looked up again, Tom had presented a beautiful red rose to Demelza and gently tucked it in her hair. She could see Demi was rather happy with him and as long as her friend was happy, she knew she shouldn't have any issue with their relationship. 

After all, Renata only wished for Demi to be happy and had her good will at heart. But she couldn't shake off the feeling that there was much more to Riddle than what met the eye.

She had heard some insane rumors about him back in her school years; rumors that connected him to Myrtle Warren's mysterious death. And even though she wasn't sure whether those rumors were true or not, she still feared for her friend's safety and didn't ever want Demi to meet a similar fate as her housemate Myrtle had done so years ago. 

***