[04] Citrus And Rain

The clock struck four in the afternoon announcing the end of Perseus's shift. Due to Tom's addition to the shop as an apprentice, Caractacus had asked them both to divide the shop timings among them mutually. The first half was the busier shift and as Riddle had yet to learn handling customers and running the shop, so Perce let him have the easier second shift and kept the busier part for himself.

At four the first shift ended, after which Perce would stay a while to have tea with Riddle just before the second shift began. However, contrary to the usual routine, that day he was in a bit of a hurry. As soon as Tom stepped in, he told him that he would be gone for a while and had ordered Gabby to prepare tea for him only.

Tom had taken note of his haste but simply shrugged in reply, taking his teacup from Gabby and started his shift behind the counter, rather prepared to receive the clients.

Perseus, on the other hand, had to make a stop in Diagon Alley right before he headed to his desired location; a jewelry stall erected near Twilfitt and Tatting's outfit shop. He had been saving his money for a particular item since a long time and had requested the owner of the stall to keep it for him. Reaching there, he quickly paid the amount and was handed a slender metallic case which he placed safely in the pocket of his overcoat.

From there, he made his way back to the street where his family home was located. Walking just a few blocks more, passing Herbert's abode as well, he stopped in front of a rather welcoming house with a nicely trimmed garden and a flower wreath hanging on the gate.

He rang the doorbell and stepped back, a small smile dancing on his face. It was the Fawley's living place or in other words, it was the house of his lovely fiance. The door opened revealing Renata, seeing him a genuine smile spread over her beautiful features, "Perseus, what a pleasant surprise."

She stepped aside allowing him to come in and closed the door after. The whole place was silent except for the slight humming of a gramophone in the distance. She had noticed his surprise at finding the place so quiet, so she spoke, "there's no one else at home. Lazarus and Celia had to go out today so I was just in my room, listening to some music."

Renata's parents had died when she was very young therefore she had been raised by her older brother Lazarus Fawley and his wife Cecilia. Since the Fawleys lived close to Herbert Burke, she had been playmates with the Burke cousins since a very young age and even then they were all quite close friends.

"Oh I see," he nodded, "I hope I haven't disturbed you then."

A soft carefree laugh escaped her at that statement, "not at all. I was really hoping you or Demi would come. It gets boring being at home with no company."

"By the way, the flower wreath looks beautiful on the door," he complimented, knowing full well that she had made it herself from the flowers she grew in her backyard; she was rather fond of gardening and had picked it up as a hobby since an early age. 

Her eyes glittered in delight, "would you like to see the rest of my flowers? I have been working a lot in the garden lately and all the blooms have turned out to be equally beautiful."

She led him to the backyard, delightfully showing him all the plants she had cultivated in the small but neatly organized garden. From dahlias to beautiful bluish cornflowers and carnations to fresh red roses, Renata seemed to have gathered all the possible plants which bloomed in that month and tended after them rather well.

"These are wonderful," he exclaimed noticing how her eyes lit up with joy at his remark, "your garden could easily win one of those contests held in London for best blooms in spring season. The only issue is that it's not spring yet."