[24] His Second Greatest Fear

A while had passed since Demelza shifted in with the Malfoys, and by passage of time she had adjusted rather well to her new surroundings. She cherished Aquila's company and found mirth in being with little Lucius as the kid had peculiar habits which amused her a lot.

Sometimes, she would pause and think that just after a few more months, Lucius would have a playmate. Another child would be seen crawling in the corridors, sleeping in the crib which Aquila had got for the baby already.

And even though the thought of holding her newborn and loving it was sweet, the fear of her child being denied the opportunity of having a proper family would creep in her heart and scare her.

She had no idea where Tom Riddle was now. Whether he even remembered her or not. She knew he obviously wasn't aware of the situation she had to face due to him, but even if he somehow did come to know, what would be his reaction?

She knew it was almost impossible that Tom Riddle would come back for her. And hoping for him to return for her or to accept her and start a new life was stupidity in itself, she clearly understood that.

Demelza felt someone knocking at her bedroom door. She got up carefully and unlocked it, opening the door just a fraction to see who was outside.

A man was standing in a dark hood which hid his face completely and seeing him sent a shiver down her spine. She was about to shut the door immediately when the thin hand closed onto hers and she recognized that touch.

It was Tom Riddle.

"Can I come in, Demelza?" his voice was the same as she had heard the last time, the same hushed but soft tones.

"What are you doing here? What if the Malfoys find out?" Just like before, she was more scared of getting caught than the notion of being alone with him.

"The Malfoys are my friends. Abraxas and I were classmates. They know I am here and I had taken their permission before coming to visit you," he replied.

It seemed as if he had quite an expertise in calming her down because soon after that she relaxed.

"How did you know I was here?" she asked.

"I guess it was just my luck. I had come to see Abraxas but found you here as well."

He drew back the hood revealing himself. Her eyes widened in shock at seeing how thin he had become as if he had been starving himself for a long time. There were dark rings around his gray eyes, indicating fatigue as well as the lack of sleep. And even though he looked as strikingly handsome as he did before, there was a difference due to his seemingly faltering health.

Instead of the youthful glow on his skin, there was a mysterious yet haunting paleness.

"Tom... What has happened to you?" Demelza's hand reached out to touch his cheek as if she could not be sure whether he was really there or not.

He grasped her hand gently, kissing her upturned palm, "what are you talking about? I'm perfectly fine."

She shook her head, eyes filled to the brim with concern, "no, you're not. You've become... Weaker. As if you've starved yourself for years."

Weaker. The word stung him a bit. He was doing so much to become more and more powerful, yet he seemed to have grown weak, according to Demelza.

And even though you're chasing immortality, at the end you will be empty handed. Perseus's words danced around him as he painfully tried to shut them out.

"Ah, it's nothing. You shouldn't get worried. It's just that I've been working really hard these days and sometimes there's no time to stop for a break."