[28] Divulgence

Demelza gazed at the tiny child in her arms lovingly. The bliss she felt at being able to hold her own child, to take his dainty hand in her own and be able to stroke the small head was quite inexplicable. She felt that after all, the pain she had undergone was totally worth it.

She looked up at her mother who was also smiling at seeing her so happy, "is this how you felt when I was born?"

Belvina's smile widened, "absolutely. When I held you for the first time, I knew you were a precious little angel who would be the sole reason for our existence."

To her mother's surprise, her eyes filled up with tears, "but I have put you through so much trouble, Mother. I'm so sorry for that."

"Hush child, it's not the time to think of such dreadful thoughts. There's no need to say sorry for something which is not your fault."

But deep inside, Demelza knew that it was all her fault. She shouldn't have blindly trusted Tom Riddle, she shouldn't have let him in and most importantly she shouldn't have let her guards down in front of him.

She loved him too foolishly to care at that moment, yet now it all seemed like a dreadful mistake to her.

He was probably somewhere in Romania, not even aware that his son had been born. At times she would wonder whether Tom would return to see his son ever or not. And it was this thought of raising her child without his father, all on her own, which scared her internally.

She stroked the baby's cheek again, pressing her lips tenderly on to his forehead, "I want so badly to believe that I wasn't on fault, that my son is not a mistake but... But I can't deny the truth."

Belvina sat down beside her, gently gathering her in a motherly embrace, "yes, you can't deny the truth. But my dear, people learn from their mistakes. And now it's in your hands whether you want to make the best out of it or be doomed forever."

She knew her mother was right, those were the very words she had said to Tom when he had come to visit. 

"Eridanus is not a mistake, it just wasn't the right time," both of them turned to see Aquila standing in the doorway, waiting to step inside. On Belvina's nod, she came in and sat beside her cousin, squeezing her hand reassuringly, "I know you will be a very good mother to him. You have to be strong, Demi, for your son. If you give in to these depressing thoughts, then who will look after your child?"

Belvina nodded, completely agreeing with her, "she's right. Raising a child without a fatherly shelter over him is tough, but we believe that you have the strength in you to get through this."

She looked at Eridanus's pristine features; the grey eyes that were so like Tom and the beautifully sculpted mouth which no doubt showed clear resemblance to him, "I will be strong. I will never let you feel that he's missing from your life. I will do my best to get through this."

***

Aquila had put Lucius to bed and was just adjusting the blanket when Abraxas stepped in. He was clearly exhausted as he sat down on the bed, stretching himself in order to relax, "so, how's your cousin feeling now?"

She was slightly anxious, wondering whether or not to tell him the truth about Eridanus's father, "she's better."

"And the baby?"

She nodded sitting down beside him, "sleeping, I guess."

A soft smile took over his face, "he's one fine lad, I must say. It seems to me that he'll grow up to be quite handsome."

Aquila agreed with him, though her hands that were tightly clasped in her lap showed that her mind was elsewhere, as she was still not able to decide on what to tell him and what to conceal, "Aunt Belvina thinks so too. I also thought that when I first saw him."

However, his smile turned into a slight frown, "there's something about his eyes... So familiar. But I can't place a finger on why is that so. It's just that when I first saw the child today, it seemed as if I had known those eyes for years."

Aquila decided that the time had come for the revelation, "well that's because you have known those grey eyes for years."

He was not expecting such a reply and the surprise was evident on his face, "what do you mean?"

"Eridanus is no ordinary child," taking a deep breath she resumed, "he is the Dark Lord's heir."

"What?" he was not able to disguise the shock at hearing those words.

She sighed and shook her head in a nod, "yes, he is his flesh and blood."

Abraxas kept silent for a while, waiting for the words to sink in, "and how can you be so sure?"

"Because I heard from my very ears. Remember the last time he came to visit? He didn't leave immediately after assigning you the tasks like he usually does. Instead he went to see Demelza. He already knew she was living with us. When I went to give her the daily medicines, he was there. And I overheard them."

He was still quite shocked, "but... But how?"

She shrugged, "apparently they both love each other."

"I guess this is the day for me to face all sorts of unbelievable things," he rested his head back as he was quite exhausted, "what I still don't get is that how can it be possible? The Dark Lord can't love."

She nodded, agreeing with him, "I know. That's why I used the word apparently. Demelza had told me about the father but didn't tell me his name. According to her, he was an apprentice at Borgin and Burke's, that dark artifact shop owned by her uncle. She met him there and things escalated. I don't know about him but Demelza truly loves him. Too much for her own benefit."

His brow was furrowed as he was deep in thought, pondering over all that had been revealed to him, "and what did you overhear from their conversation?"

"He was unbelievably kind to her. As if... As if he really cared about her a lot," she racked her brain to recall the exact words, "he was saying something about being a coward... That he should have taken her and the child's responsibility. That he could never be a good father and also that both Demelza and Eridanus deserved much better than him."

There was an awkward pause but Abraxas kept silent, encouraging her to continue.

"I... I just... I couldn't believe my ears. But he sounded so sincere, Abraxas, as if he was really sorry for all that she had to go through due to him," she let out the thoughts that were worrying her. He seemed so sincere yet she was well aware of how he actually was. And she feared that her cousin could come to more harm because of him.

"If I were you, I would not have believed it either way," frown lines creased his forehead and the thoughtful look in his eyes deepened, "I went to school with him and I know how persuasive he can be. For all I know, he might only be pretending to care for your cousin, while in reality he must have some other use for her instead."

"But what use would Demelza be to him?"

"Don't you see? She's already given him an heir," the puzzle pieces were starting to fit in their places for Abraxas, "an heir who would probably be much more powerful than we expect. An heir who would carry his legacy forward, be his successor."

She was still not able to wrap her mind around it, the sincerity of the words Tom had spoken to Demelza, the height of emotion in his voice still rang in her ears, "but from what I heard, it seemed as if he didn't want to impregnate her in the first place."

"You should know better than to just believe his words, Aquila. He never does anything without a reason, he has never been impulsive. I'm very certain that there's much more to your cousin than we can see now. She must definitely be important to him, but probably not in the way you're implying."

She seemed somewhat saddened at that, "I don't want anything bad to happen to her. She has already been through too much."

"We can do nothing but hope that no harm comes to her or her baby. As long as Eridanus is in our care, we have to be very cautious. There's no knowing when the Dark Lord would come demanding for his son. It could be anytime, maybe even tomorrow."

She closed her eyes exhaustively, "pray to God nothing bad happens to any of us. And may we make through this test safe and sound."

Abraxas nodded solemnly, "Amen."

***