004. Hello, Neighbor!

·:*:·゚☆。Johnny:

I'd recognize that voice from anywhere. That would be our principal, Mrs. Jones. She was ruthless, callous, and downright petty. I've been in this school long enough to, know if she woke up on the wrong side of the bed in the morning. I was in some deep shit.

"Hello? I will not repeat myself." She shouted

The girl Kenzie stood from her seat beside me, and laid her hand out for Mrs. Jones

"Hi! I'm Mac-"

"Save the introductions, and answer the question!!" She interrupts. It's sad she had to learn the hard way. Kenzie swallows hard, and Mrs. Jones looks straight into my eyes, but I quickly look away.

I hear the principal scoffed

"I expected more from you, Mr. Orlando." She scolded

"Um, excuse me, but I'm new here!" Kenzie says, changing the subject.

What is she doing? I was about to get a lecture!

Mrs. Jones instantly turns her attention turns Kenzie instead.

"Hi, sorry. I'm Mackenzie Ziegler, and I'm just trying to find my way to math class-"

"Is this true?" She interrupts again, looking back my way. My face reddens, but I say nothing.

Mrs. Jones sighs, but points to a door a few classrooms down.

"Your classroom is right there." She said

"Thank you!" Mackenzie thanked.

"Mr. Orlando? Get. To. Class." I nod and glumly stand up, walking into class. When I open the door, all eyes were on me. What else is new?

"You're late, Orlando," The teacher Mr. Grains said. I hear some students snicker from their seats near me, and I look down at my shoes.

"Get to your seat, kid. Now!" The teacher yelled. I walked down the aisle with my head down in shame, when I was suddenly tripped and fell to my knees.

"Oops!" The kid remarks. I got up quickly and scurried to my seat. Once I sat down, I winced at my sore knees

I sigh internally. Could today get any worse? I've been humiliated twice, and I haven't even gotten through first period yet. I looked outside the classroom door to see Mackenzie looking in. We locked eyes for a moment.

Her eyes are sparkling.

·:*:·゚☆。Mackenzie:

For the first day at Jamen High, it wasn't all that bad. However, I still can't stop thinking about that boy. I know he lives next door. I know he doesn't talk much, or at all for that matter, and I know he needs a friend whether he wants one or not. And I'm gonna be that friend. Like I mentioned before, I'm stubborn. I won't give up that easily. Besides, he's pretty cute.

I turn the corner and make way onto my street, when I notice Mr. Orlando walking on his own a few feet ahead of me. My first mission? Learn my new friend's first name. I run up behind him and yelled

"Boo!" The boy turns around startled, but he rolls his eyes when he realizes it was me.

"Hah! Got ya!" I teased. Before I see a reaction, he turns around once more and begins to walk away. Huh, and I thought I was stubborn.

I run up to the side of him, keeping in pace with his steps.

"Like I said before, I don't give up that easily, Orlando." He rolls his eyes once again, something he has a knack of doing. I decide to change the subject.

"So, where ya headed?" I asked

As expected, I get no response.

I look away from him and notice we're right in front of our houses. He continues walking up to his house, then turns around and looks at me with a look that reads, "go away." I turn away defeatedly, and walk up to my house. I can feel him staring at me from his doorway.

"Bye!" I call to him before entering my home. I scurry to the window and see him still standing there. That is, until a woman opens the front door.

"Johnny, get inside the house!"

"So, Johnny is his name," I say with a smile. Suits him.

·:*:·゚☆。Johnny:

I walk inside the house, and go straight up to my room. I can't believe she lives next door. That means I'll never get rid of her. I mean, I want to, right? I sit on my bed, and look across the room. Catching my guitar from the corner of my eye, I've never told a soul, but I love to sing. Though I hate to show my face and speak to anybody. It's like an escape from reality.

What nobody knows, is that I take a secret identity and I play music on youtube for the world to see. 'How does a depressed, untalkative boy like you do that?' you ask? Think of me as Sia; I make covers of songs on the internet, but I hide myself so nobody knows it's me. And nobody will ever find out it's me. Ever.

Picking up my guitar, I begin to strum the tune of "Where Are U Now" by Justin Bieber.

·:*:·゚☆。Mackenzie:

I walk up to my room, and pick up my journal. Instead of using it like a normal girl, I tend to use it in a way where I make plans or write out essential questions. I enjoy getting myself into other people's business.

Dear Journal,

Mission 'Make The Mystery Boy Your Friend' is being put into action! My first mission was to figure out his name. It was easier than I thought! Johnny Orlando! Cute, right?

'To keep you warm...'

I look up from my notebook.

'And I was on my knees when nobody else was praying...'

It sounds like someone is singing, and they're really good at it, too. I put my notebook on the side of my bed, and look out my window. That's when I notice that, it's coming from the room across from me.

Johnny's room.

His window is cracked open, and my jaw drops to the floor. He can sing!

'Where are you now that I need you?'

I open up my  window to listen better. For a guy who doesn't talk, his voice sure is beautiful. When he finishes the song, I clap grasping his attention.

"That was great!" I shouted loud enough for him to hear. Instantly, Johnny turns around and stares out his window, his face as pale as a ghost. His expression read shocked, embarrassed, and furious all at once. But I didn't mind.

"Hello, neighbor!"