Chapter Five: Please Don't Kill Me

I woke the following day at almost twelve in the afternoon and nearly jumped out of bed. I was meeting Zayn at two and there were things I needed to do. My phone had a new message:

Zayn

Coffee downtown at 2?

            I texted back a yes and locked my phone screen.

            Running into the bathroom, I stripped out of all my clothes to get in the shower and wash up. As I washed my hair, I felt my stomach leap. So I ended up throwing up right then and there, kneeling on the ground right in front of the drain, retching violently until my neck was sore and the muscles around my abdomen hurt.

            Soon enough, I’d finished my shower and slipped into a summer dress. It was now almost one, so I dried my hair and applied some make-up. After, I put on some knee high socks, combat boots and then a jacket to finish. It was cold outside as winter continued in full bloom.

            Finally I was out the door and in my car, driving downtown to where Zayn and I agreed to meet up. It was a little past two and I was late, so I tried my best to hurry.

            I hadn’t realized how nervous I was until I’d parked. My hands were shaking violently as I smoothed back my hair and then opened the car door. I walked into the café and immediately saw Zayn, his eyes meeting mine as he stood.

            The smile on his lips was genuine, and I tried to return one myself. But it was hard to look him in the eyes knowing that I was about to tell him the news that could possibly ruin is career. It could ruin his life.

            “You made it,” he smiled, walking over to me at the door and pulling me into a hug. He was clearly taller than I remembered, so I ended up wrapping my arms around his torso. My hands still shook and I felt the urge to cry, my eyes brimming with tears.

            I felt one of his hands reach into my hair. “Your hands are shaking.”

            I leaned away from him. “Let’s sit.”

            He nodded and I could tell that he was suspicious. I followed him back to the table and he pulled a seat back for me.

            “Thank you,” I smiled.

            I watched as he sat in the seat on my right and faced me. “It’s strange seeing you. You look better than you did two months ago.”

            I breathed nervously. “Thanks.”

            I had no idea what to say to him. I knew what I had to tell him, but I didn’t know where to start.

            “Are you alright?”

            I swallowed hard. I had to come clean and I had to do it now. “I need to tell you something.”