Chapter Twenty One: I Know

Zayn

        I already knew that Louis would rent out the penthouse, so I had no need to ask at the front desk. While I waited in the elevator, I thought of what I'd say to Riley. She'd already heard it all before. What if this time it was different? It wasn't like I'd given her much to work with. I'd pushed her too hard, been overprotective, punched my best friend, and slept with my ex girlfriend.

        I stepped out, nervous as I pushed one foot in front of the other. Before I could back out, I knocked on the door and waited impatiently for it to open.

        The minute I saw her it was like my heart was about to race out of my chest. "I'm so sorry. I know you've heard this all before. I've had a lot to apologize for-"

        I was cut off by her arms wrapping around me. She held me to her like she'd never done before, catching me by surprise. Slowly I rose my arms up around her and held her, taking in the way it felt to have her so close.

        "You don't have to apologize," she said.

        "She lied," I told her.

        "I know." I felt her lips on the side of my neck before she hugged me tighter. And I knew I'd been forgiven, not only for having slept with Perrie, but also for my past faults.

        I reached down and ran my hand over the part of her that held my baby and for the first time, I understood how much I needed her.

        She leaned away for a moment and I saw a wide smile spread across her face. "Did you feel that?" she asked.

        I shook my head and she quickly took my hand in hers and placed it on her belly so that I could feel what she had. The baby moved under my palm and I couldn't help a grin. That was my boy.

        I snaked my hand up to the side of her face and pulled her to me, her lips curving perfectly around mine. I'd never felt so close to her, not even the night we'd spent together.

        "So, are we all good?" I heard Louis ask.

        Riley's laugh echoed through the hall, a sound I never got tired of listening to. I loved it. And I loved her.

        That same day we got Riley and Louis moved back to the apartment. I decided that I wanted to take Riley out to dinner because I wanted to talk to her privately. We hardly ever talked.

        Once she was dressed and ready to go, I led her to the car and opened the door for her. "Are you hungry?"

        She sat inside and settled in. "Not too much."

        I leaned over and buckled her seat belt, seeing the surprised look on her face. Once I'd kissed her on the cheek, I shut the door and went over to my side.

        Once we were driving all we did was talk. She told me about her past and so did I. The truth was that we hardly knew each other. And I wanted to know everything about her.

        I parked at the pier and walked over to her side of the car to open the door for her. She looked at me questioningly.

        "Just trust me on this," I said, holding my hand out for hers. I led her to the end of the pier where I had Harry set up a dinner table for us with our meal. "I hope you don't mind eating outside."

        I looked down at her, noticing how in awe she was with the sight before her. "You did this for me?"

        I pulled her seat back for her and waited for her to sit. "Well, yeah. I haven't really been the best to you and I want to start now. It's a little late, but I want you to know how much I appreciate you."