Chapter Fifteen: I Can Wait

The following morning I woke in Louis' arms. I looked at his sleeping face, so peaceful and adorable. He truly was a great friend. I loved him so much.

        I smiled to myself, thinking of how he'd come rushing in when he'd heard me cry the night before. He was in all honesty the best.

        "Good morning," I whispered, careful not to frighten him in his sleep.

        His eyes lightly twitched as he opened them, a yawn escaping from his lips. "Morning, sweet pea."

        I hugged him tighter as I flexed my muscles, sore from having been in the same position all night. Louis stretched too and then wrapped his strong arms around me. When he let go, his hand rested on my very small baby bump. He was the only person who did that.

        "Your mom snores in her sleep. Did you know?"

        I laughed hard. "I do not."

        Soon the both of us were laughing for what seemed like absolutely no reason. Louis told a few lame jokes and I was cracking up at each of them, my laugh making him laugh.

        "What's going on here?"

        Both of our heads snapped up to see Zayn standing at the door frame, his eyes fixed on us. The look on his face didn't look happy. He actually looked angry, as I thought about it.

        "She had a nightmare last night," Louis said, his head cocked to the side to see him.

        Zayn's eyes narrowed. "And you slept with her?"

        I sat up slowly, shrugging Louis' hand from me. "Yeah, he did. Is there a problem, Zayn?" I asked, my tone a little too bitter. I hadn't realized I was mad at him.

        He turned around and walked out of the room without a single word.  I dropped my head in my hands. I felt Louis sit up as well and wrap his arm around me again.

        "I know you're having a hard time with this whole Zayn thing, but you need to relax. You've been stressing way too much."

        I slid onto the side of the bed. "I know. But I can't help it. I keep thinking of him with her and then me... And I just can't keep my thoughts at bay."

        Louis puckered his lips. "You should talk to him. Really. I don't think what's going on is what you think it is," he said, nothing indicating that he himself knew what was going on with Zayn and Perrie.

   I nodded once, slipping from the bed and making my way out of the room. I found Zayn quickly enough. He sat quietly in the kitchen, nobody else with him. His phone was sitting in front of him, messages flooding his home screen. He didn't seem to be paying attention to them.

   I walked slowly and cautiously, trying to keep my emotions under control. I didn't want to be angry at Zayn and I sure didn't want him angry at me.

   "Zayn?" I asked, my voice but a faint whisper.

   He heard me, though, and turned around in his seat. His eyes met mine briefly before they lowered toward the ground.

   I sighed. "I'm sorry for snapping at you," I said, trying to get him to react in some way. I wanted him to speak; to tell me everything would be okay the way he always did. That was selfish. "I understand why seeing Louis in bed with me might've made you feel bad."

   He sighed, his eyes not seeing mine still. "That really hurt, Riley."

   I looked up and away from him. I so much wanted to lash out then and there. That hurt him. What about the way I felt when I saw those articles with pictures of him and his ex fiancee?

   I shoved my anger down. "I'm sure it did. Which is why I'm apologizing," I paused. "But Zayn," I paused once more, walking over so that I could look at his face and he wouldn't have a choice but to look at mine, "I know how you feel. I tried to ignore it..."

   His eyes finally met mine. He didn't know what I was talking about. "What do you mean?" Real concern masked his voice now.

   I licked my lips, thinking about how I could phrase my next few sentences without him thinking I was actually falling for him. "I saw some articles of you and Perrie recently."

   He shook his head, startling me when he rose from his seat. His face was only inches from mine now. His eyes pierced through mine, as if he were trying to say something without speaking at all. "You didn't think..."

   "I don't know," I answered, suddenly paralyzed by his nearness.

   His hand reached up to touch my hair innocently. "Perrie and I... We're friends. She just... She has a hard time with the engagement being called off. She doesn't have anybody to talk to. It's nothing."

   I had a hard time believing that.

   "Riley, she's nobody. But you..."

   Zayn's hands reached both sides of my face, his skin fire against mine. I didn't know what to do. I wanted to move away. I wanted him to stop. I couldn't do this.

   But at the same time I didn't. I wanted the feel of his skin on mine. I wanted his to close his eyes; to lean down and press his lips against mine.

   And he didn't disappoint that side of me that wanted him. His lips were warm against mine; soft and sweet. The kiss was short, but it could have been an eternity. I almost whimpered when it was over.

   "I can't," was all that came from my lips. My rational side, the one that knew I couldn't have him, was still there.

   Zayn pulled me to him, his hand in my hair as he hugged me. His arms were steel against my body. I let him hold me there. "I can wait."

   I gasped quietly. How could I let him? Knowing that I could never let myself love him?

   I knew in my heart that Zayn could never be mine. I would have loved to believe it, that the father of my baby could be the love of my life. But how could I, knowing that at every corner I turned would be the woman he nearly pledged himself to forever? That they were friends now? That at any moment, he could change his mind and she'd be ready waiting?

   "Riley, I'll wait."

   A stray tear rolled down my cheek.

   Zayn would wait in vain.

I don't know what the heck happened but part of the original writing for this chapter was erased. I only noticed now, so I have absolutely no idea when this happened. Anyway, I tried recreating the scene, although I'm sure it's very much different from the original. I'm sorry.
It still fits with the story line, which is all that matters. I love you all and thank you for your support.

Love always,

HayleyCT