Chapter Thirty: How Did You Even?

The days passed and Riley and I were just getting the hang of being parents. It wasn't easy at all being responsible for another life, but having the guys around really helped. They were all supportive in their own ways, always willing to help even when we didn't ask for it. We all made sure Riley was never pushing it too much when it came to her body. But she was stubborn.

        I woke to the sound of Nathan crying. The crib had been moved back to the room. During the day, we had another for him in the living room, since the guys were so hellbent on having Nathan there to keep an eye on him.

        I sat up slowly, sighing. He hardly ever cried, but he hardly ever slept, either, and it was hard for the rest of us to get some sleep knowing he was wide awake. Riley rised from her sleep like a pop-tart, already turning to get up off the bed to go see what Nathan needed.

        "I've got him. Don't worry," I told her, turning and standing from the bed and wiping my eyes. I didn't exactly love getting up in the middle of the night, but I liked it even less when Riley did it.

        I leaned over the crib and picked Nathan up in my arms, craddling his small head in my left hand. "What's up, little buddy?" I asked, noticing how groggy my voice way.

        "Is he hungry?" Riley asked.

        I shook my head and then realized that she could hardly see me. "I think he just needs a diaper change. Go back to sleep."

        I took Nathan into the living room so that Riley could sleep and he wouldn't wake the guys and then changed his diaper. Once he was changed, he quieted down, only making babbling noises. I smiled down at him, feeling happy and spent all at once. I loved Nathan but he was certainly a handful.

        I turned the TV set on and turned the volume down, sitting with Nathan in my arms, willing him to fall asleep. He looked up at me with innocent eyes, and I knew he wasn't about to go to sleep any time soon.

        I heard shuffling behind me and knew that Riley had gotten up from bed. I turned to look at her, seeing how she was rubbing at her eyes and yawning as she walked.

        "I told you to go to bed," I said to her. She was so stubborn.

        "I couldn't. I felt bad," she told me.

        I stood up and set Nathan in his crib, making sure to tuck him in and then I turned to Riley. I didn't know why I pitied her so much. Maybe it was because she was so young. Maybe it was because I knew she was vulnerable.

        I wrapped her in my arms and kissed her on the cheek. "Are you alright? Why'd you feel bad?"

        "I just feel like you're always the one who gets up in the middle of the night to take care of him. I don't  know. I just felt bad about it."

        "I do it because I want to. And I want you to stay in bed and get some sleep." I kissed her on the lips. "Now go back to sleep."

        She looked up at me with big eyes, just like Nathan's. "I love you."

        I smiled. "Go. I love you."

        I turned her over and nudged her in the right direction then watched her disappear into the hall. When she had, I checked on Nathan again, seeing that he was still wide awake, but quiet. I knew he wouldn't fuss and would fall asleep eventually, so I walked over to the sofa and layed there, watching the TV screen blankly until I dove off into a deep sleep.

        The following day I woke to the sound of shuffling nearby. When I opened my eyes, I saw Liam by the crib, reaching down to pick Nathan up.