Chapter Ten

A few days had passed since Jack and I had last talked. I felt bad for being so blunt with him but it’s what he needed to hear. I was trouble and him hanging with me was just going to bring him down too. I’d never forgive myself if I dragged him down with me. I wasn’t into partying that much anymore, after the party the other night. Not having friends and no parties to go to means I had a lot of spare time on my hands.

I slammed the front door of my house and quickly made my way up the stairs before my parents could see me. “Madison!” They called from the dinner table. "Fuck.." I said under my breath. I scurried down the stairs again. “What?" I said folding my arms in front of my chest.“Sit down, let’s talk” They said smiling fakely at me. “Why?” I asked frowning at them."Because we’re a family and that’s what families do" They said patting down on the free chair. I hesitated but ended up taking up on their offer. There was an awkward silence as we all sat there unsure of what to say. “So..how is school going?” My mom asked and I just shrugged. Another silence. “How are things going with you and Jack? He’s such a nice boy!" She said smiling at me. "Yeah well we’re not talking" I mumbled back to her.

She groaned loudly. “Seriously? What did you do this time?” She asked in annoyance."What? Why would you just assume it’s my fault?" I asked defensively. “Are you really going to sit there and tell me it’s not?" She said raising an eyebrow. My silence answered her question. "God Madsion why do you have to mess up every good thing in your life?" She said raising her voice. "Why do you have to be such a judgemental bitch" I screamed back at her. “Don’t talk to your mother that way” My Dad interrupted. “You should be grateful I’m talking to her at all” I said getting up from the table. "Madison come back here and apologise to your mother right now" He demanded.

I opened the front door, sighing before turning back to them. "Mom..I’m sorry..that your so fucked up that you don’t realise how unhappy your own daughter is" I said calmly before slamming the door in their faces.

I hated them. I hated them so much it gave me a headache. They have no concept of parental compassion and they ignorance towards my problems is sickening. I didn’t know where I was going and I didn’t care as long as I was away from them.

I stopped when I came to a small park at the side of the street. There were no benches so I just sat on the ground with my hands around my knees. I closed my eyes and just tried to forget about everything bad in my life. I heard rustling from beside me and my eyes quickly shot open. “Hey” A familiar voice said and I quickly turned me head in the direction of the voice.“Oh..h-hi” I stuttered back. "Wow Madison Reynolds lost for words, that’s a first" He said smiling sweetly at me. “I’m surprised you even want to talk to me right now" I admitted to him. “I didn’t…because you were such a bitch a few days ago..” He began."Thanks" I said sarcastically. "No problem" He responded.

"No but seriously, I know what you were trying to do, You think your no good for me so you pushed me away. I see right through it. Stop trying to push me away. I want to help you" He told me. “What if I can’t be helped and I just make it worse?”I asked him anxiously. "That’s not going to happen. I know you can do it if you really want to" he told me. "It’s not fair on you.." I mumbled to him.

"No it’s not, what’s unfair is that I’m still in love with a girl that isn’t there anymore" He said weakly. I didn’t respond. I just stared at him “And if there is even a slight chance that she might come back, I’m going to hold on to that hope” He told me. "As long as you’re willing to let me help you, I’m not going to give up" He admitted.