Serpentine

The café I found myself in was nondescript, a decent number of people talking quietly over cups of coffee. I peered around, hesitantly, strongly considering turning around and leaving. I wasn't sure what made me stay.

Finding a small booth, I sat down with my latte, drumming my fingers nervously on the tabletop. I thought about the people around me, going on with their daily lives. I thought about my job. I thought about Taehyung.

I'd barely managed to persuade him to stay home, by lying, and saying that I was going into work. Something about the innocent, earnest trust he had in me made me feel very guilty for that. But the person on the phone had specified that I couldn't bring him along.

I'd given in, and called the number. The voice on the other end had been that of a man, but not the one from the bakery. Deep, and silky. He had preferred to explain things in person, and I'd specified a public place to meet.

So here I was. Waiting. My stomach in knots. I wasn't sure if I was nervous because I was potentially meeting a strange man, or because I didn't know exactly what he would have to share with me.

While I was staring at my fingers, someone slid into the booth opposite me. I looked up in surprise. The man smiled warmly. His hair was a soft lilac, styled back out of his eyes, thick-rimmed glasses sitting on his nose. He had kind, but sharp eyes.

"Sung Seomin-ssi." His voice was that of the person I'd spoken to before. I had to wonder how he knew it was me. I didn't recognise him, not at all. I was fairly sure I'd remember. "Kim Namjoon. We spoke on the phone."

He spoke in a hushed voice. I nodded, matching my volume to his. "I remember."

His gaze seemed to be measuring me, somehow remaining personable and warm at the same time. I kept my back rigid, expression unreadable. He didn't seem thrown off by it.

"Well." He steepled his fingers together. I watched him do it. "You must have... a lot of questions. About..."

"Taehyung." He seemed a little bit surprised that I cut him off, even more so at my expression. I quickly wiped the mild anger from my face. He exhaled minutely.

"Yes, Taehyung." He still didn't seem fazed, even though I purposely remained terse, unresponsive to his warmth.

"He said he had no one." I said, stiffly. "So who are you?"

Steepled fingers came apart, tips aligning to press together. "A... friend."

"Then where were you? Why did he wind up depending on a perfect stranger?" Again, I was losing my hold on my temper, a little. "How did he end up injured with nowhere to go? Nearly bleeding out in the street?"

Namjoon placed his hands flat on the table, palms down. "I... am sorry about that. To both of you. We are... grateful, that you took him in. You will be compensated."

I scowled. He seemed shocked by it. "Do you really think that's why I'm upset?" I snarled, then caught myself, realising I'd raised my voice. I drew in a breath, and quietened a bit. "Kim Namjoon-ssi. He was hurt, so badly. Those wounds..." I bit my lip, then met gazes with the man across from me again. "He could have died. He should have died. And if I hadn't gone back to the hospital where would he have gone? He's so helpless! And needy! He wouldn't cope on his own."

Namjoon inhaled, deeply, then let out a long breath, straightening up in the booth seat. "Seomin-ssi. I understand that you're confused. It is... a lot, to take in. Please calm down."

Realising how tense I'd become, I relaxed my fingers and my thigh muscles. I took a sip from my latte. Calming, I watched him, struggling to read his face. "I'm calm. You promised me answers."