15.

SYDNEY'S POV

Sydney could not shake off her nerves. This was the most nervous she had ever felt. Even going for an audition did not scare her this much. She rubbed her hands together to get warmth into it, as they had become cold.

"Are you okay?" Anderson asked when the valet came for their car.

"Yes." She replied and then cleared her throat. "Just, a little tensed." She added honestly.

"Don't worry." He entwined their fingers. "Just breathe and recall everything on the script."

The duo walked into the party and immediately caught eyes on them. Sydney held her head up high and put her game face on. Glancing around the party, she noticed how elegantly and sophisticatedly dressed the women in here were. The sparkles from their dresses made her, self-conscious of her non-sparkly dress.

Just like that, her self-confidence began to wither and her strides were not as graceful as before. She felt a little pressure on her hands and glanced at the man beside her.

"Just breathe, okay?" He told her, while brushing his thumb along her jawline. She drew in a sharp breath as an unexpected tingle run down her spine.

"Okay." She replied.

Anderson nodded and they started to move again. The hungry gossips were waiting on them.

How did you two meet?

How we met is so cheesy, but I find it very romantic. I went to the gym one morning and after my workout I realised my bag was missing and in its place a stranger's bag. Yes, he mistook my bag for his.

And I thought a thief had stolen my bag and left theirs, not knowing it was the other way round.

The guests laughed with them at that tale.

"I am confused. When you two met, was he still engaged?"

Kathleen and I already separated by then. The news had not come out yet, but our relationship was over.

Sydney had almost believed him then. However, she knew better. The guests had totally bought that story, so they were okay.

"How long did you date before deciding to marry?" Sydney had been glad that question was directed to Anderson because she did not know if she could have been able to answer it.

One does not have to go out with a person a thousand times before you realise that she is the one. For me, once was enough.

The group had gone 'aww' after his reply. Sydney's heart had fluttered at his words. She would have believed him if she did not know that, their relationship was an act.

Finally, after hours of mingling and talking with the guests, they managed to get away from the clutches of the gossips. Sydney could not have been happier because her feet were killing her. She could not wait to sit her butt down and take off the shoes.

In no time, they were seated at their table. Sydney finished the glass of water that was in front of her, before reaching for her shoes. Her fingers barely touched it and then, a voice was speaking to her.

"Ma'am, there's someone waiting to see you outside." Sydney corked her head and recognised the valet who had taken away Anderson's car when they arrived.

"Someone? Who?" Anderson asked and he replied.

"Adeline Whyte." He replied.

Sydney's eyes flashed with recognition and she quickly shot up from the chair. "Do you know the person?" Anderson asked and she answered.