33.

Hansen stepped hard on the gas pedal as he sped back to the hospital. It was Mary. Of course, why had he not thought of it before? She disliked Sydney. She was never in support of their wedding. She was the reason Sydney runaway. No matter how much Sydney had denied it when he asked if it was Mary’s fault, he felt it in his gut that it was she. Now, he understood why she had not wanted him to go look for Sydney in the first place. It was because she was afraid Sydney would mention her name.

Day was breaking when he swerved into the compound of the hospital. The media was still around and they clicked pictures when he stepped out of the car. Still they asked questions and he ignored them. There was a lot on his mind. He needed answers and he was going to get them.

He took the elevator to Anderson’s floor and burst into his room. His brother was still asleep and Mary too was passed out in the chair. A muscle twitched in his jaw as he glared at her. No matter how much he loved her, he now loathed her for messing with his brother’s wedding.       

As if Mary knew someone was watching her, she opened her eyes. “Hansen,” she gasped and rose to her feet. “You are back.” She smiled at him.

“Yes, I am back.” He replied coldly.

Mary’s heart skipped a beat as she watched him. Oh no, was he angry? “Ha… Hansen.” She stuttered, while reaching for his hand. When he took a step back, her suspicions were confirmed. He was upset.

“Mary,” he breathed out her name and she swallowed hard. She was trembling inside, as she could not shake off the feeling that Sydney told him. That bitch told him!

“Hansen,” tears rushed into her eyes. “Please…”

He took her hand and led her out of the room. They needed to talk. However, he did not want it to be in Anderson’s room because he did not want to wake him, as he knew there would be a lot of screaming. Together, they rode the elevator and then went to his car. Hansen drove out of the hospital before speaking. “Will you tell me, or do you want me to ask first.”

Mary sat fiddling with her thumbs. Usually, she was not nervous when confronting someone, but when it comes to her son, it was different. Especially, now that the secret she had kept for over twenty years was about to come out.

“Son,”

“I am not your son!” Hansen yelled, cutting her off.

Mary flinched. She had never seen him so angry. Her hands started to tremble as she thought. Sydney told him, that is why he was upset. He did not want to accept it. Tears slipped out of her eyes and rolled down her face. “Please listen to me.” She gasped.

“I am listening.” He gripped the steering wheel, glancing back at her for a split second and then going back to focus on the road. Now he was sure beyond doubt that she would confess to being the cause of the broken wedding. The tears, she was shedding was the proof of it.  

“What did she say?” Mary wanted to know exactly what Sydney told him, so she would know how to explain herself.

“She told me everything.” His words made her gasp.

Glancing at him, she bit her lip. She was scared. He knew the truth and the worse was that he did not hear it from her. What does he think of her now? He must really hate her. There was no doubt he was mad. He was not even looking at her.

“I did everything for you. It was all for you. I had to secure your future. I did what I did so you would live comfortably.”

“For me?” Hansen moved his gaze to her, confused. He did not know what she was saying. “You did everything for me?” He asked, trying to figure out how, she ruining the wedding was all for him. Perhaps did she think he was in love with Sydney?