39.

THREE YEARS LATER

It all seemed like a dream.   

Sydney did not think that she would be doing this. She did not think that one day she would be vising her mother’s tomb. She did not think she would lose her mother in the most gruesome way possible. Yes, Adeline had done some horrible things, but she did not deserve to die the way she did. That accident, which occurred, did not only rip her mother away from her, but it also made her stronger. Yes, she had to be strong, for both herself and Caleb’s sakes. She had to be strong because there was no longer someone to lean on. She had to be strong because she needed to survive.

Placing the flowers on the tomb, she touched the name carved on the cement tomb and heaved a sigh. Tears stung her eyes and she quickly blinked them back. No matter how much she wanted to cry, she was not going to do it.

A hand fell on her shoulder and she looked behind her at Caleb, who was holding an umbrella over her.

“Are you okay?” He asked and she rose to her feet.

“Yes.” She replied while putting on her shades. “Let’s go.” She told him.

Caleb took Sydney’s hand and together, they walked away from their mother’s tomb. The sun was high up in the sky now and a raging heat engulfed the cemetery. No soul was in sight as they moved out of the grounds. They reached their ride and the chauffeur opened the door of an SUV, stepping aside for them to get in. Caleb helped Sydney and then he closed the umbrella, handed it to the chauffeur and went in after her. The man closed the door after him and then he was alone with his sister.

Sydney crossed her hands on her laps and looked out the window. Her chin was held up as she sat, deep in thought. She wondered what would have happened to her if she were not in the booth of the car that night. Definitely, she would have perished with them. Police officers had informed her that a garbage truck had hit the side of their car, driving them off the road, straight into an electric pole. They added that the driver’s side of the car was damaged badly, so Mary had died on impact. Adeline, however, managed to make it to the hospital but did not last up to twenty-four hours.

Sydney still remembers the day she woke up in the hospital. A police office had been by her bed when she called for her mother. He had informed her of the unfortunate news and she had cried until she passed out. Even after three years, tears still came to her eyes when she remembers that day. It was the worse day of her life.

She felt a hand squeeze hers and she snapped out of her reverie, blinking back her tears. “Are you okay?” He asked and she nodded. Her brother gave her a sad smile and she held onto his hand.

Caleb was all she had now. After they lost their mother three years ago, her brother was her only family left. She still remembers everything she did to get him out of prison and she was glad that he stuck to the words he promised when he got out. Truly, Caleb stopped drinking and checked into a rehabilitation center, immediately after their mother’s burial. He had endured all the hardships and after two long years of healing, he was discharged. He had been nothing more than supportive of her and stuck by her side through the years. He had been her rock and he was there when she needed him. He was now the responsible older brother she had always wanted him to be. Now, upon Sydney’s insistence, he has agreed to go back to college and get the business degree he had always wanted.

The car finally pulled to a stop after them being on the road for what seemed like an eternity. The chauffeur opened the door and Caleb walked out. He helped Sydney get off and then they headed for the front door. Their house was a two story, modern architectural mansion, equipped with the best world-class security and decorated with the latest home designs. It was a house fit for a royal family, but she owned it and many other properties like it.