19.

NINETEEN – MAKING A CHOICE

Sydney walked into her mother's room the next morning, with a basket of food. Cage, who was sleeping in a chair by their mother's bed starred when she closed the door. He stretched out his legs under the bed and pulled his arms over his head, yawning in the process.

Sydney placed the basket on the floor, next to the bed and moved over to throw her arms around her brother. For the past two days, he had been around to take care of their mother and had really been a good boy. He did not drink or act stupid as he always did. His actions surprised Sydney, but she was happy to see that he was changing.

"You brought food, good. I was starving." Cage pushed her away, got up from the chair and picked up the basket.

"It's for mum, do not eat that." She warned, but he did not listen.

"Whatever, the hospital is giving her food anyway." He replied and walked out with the basket.

Sydney sighed after he banged the door behind him. Maybe she should not have judged too soon. Moving closer to the bed, she watched her mother sleep. Slowly, she reached for her hand and held it between hers.

Since two nights ago after she went hysterical, the doctor tied her to the bed and has not released her from the bondage yet. According to them, it was normal for a patient to be aggressive in the withdrawal stage of addiction. Therefore, it was best to restrict the patient's movements as much as they can, to avoid someone getting hurt.

The doctors even suggested that they move her into a rehabilitation center for better services. Sydney saw it as a good idea, but she did not have enough money for it. If only she still had her acting job. Moreover, she should have been wise enough to add money into the contract she signed with Anderson.

Argh, she had been a fool not doing that. Me, myself and I? She remembered what she told herself. How on earth, did she think that she would be able to live on this earth without her family? Family was everything, whether they treat you good or bad, they are still family and one can never ran from family.

Now her family was back in her life and has become, "me, my family and us." Sighing, she pulled the chair Cage was sitting in close to the bed and sat down.

"I am sorry, mother." She said, rubbing her thumbs on her mother's knuckles. She now regretted being selfish. Had she not been driven by the urge to be successful as an actress, she would have gotten money from Anderson and would have been able to take her mother to rehab.

"I will pay you twice of what my son offered." Her conversation with Mary suddenly echoed in her mind.

Sydney's gaze fell on her laps and she heaved a sigh. Mary's offer was tempting, the money and the part with her career. Last night, she had said she would think about it. Today, after seeing her mother again, she was considering taking the offer.

Her phone buzzed in her purse and she pulled it out. The number on her screen was unknown to her. While wondering who it was, she answered.

"Hello?"

"Have you made up your mind yet?" Her heart skipped a beat when she realized who it was. Biting on her lip, she thought about it.

Getting the money would be great for her. She could do many things with it, with the first being taking her mother to a rehab center. In addition, her career would get better. She would get better acting jobs and make better money for the family. They would leave that small town and move to the city. Life would be good for them.

"The check is ready. Come over to the house for it, whenever you make up your mind." With those words, Mary hanged up.

"Sydney," she jumped when a hoarse voice spoke her name, harshly. Looking down, she saw her mother, awake.