42.

Sydney had not had a good night's sleep since that night she had the conversation with Anderson in the restroom. No, she could not forget that look in his eyes when she told him she was with Gary. Although it had been a lie, she had seen how shocked he had been. He had believed her words and frankly, she wanted it that way. She did not want him coming after her because she feared he was only lying to her. What if, he was still resentful and just said those things to get her to return to him? Only Lord knows what devious plans he has in stored for her. He could be planning a public humiliation or even worse...

"Sydney," Kari called her name, drawing her out of her reverie.

"What?" She glanced at her PA, with a confused expression.

"What makes you think Anderson is planning something against you?" She asked, confusing Sydney even more. "Because he asked you, to come back to him, does not mean he is planning something." When Sydney looked surprised, Kari decided to tell her. "You were saying it out loud."

"Oh," was all Sydney could mutter.

"But really, Sydney, I don't think Anderson said that so he would have revenge on you. I think he really means it."

"You should have seen the look in his eyes." Sydney sighed, looking out the window of the moving car. "I could not tell whether he was telling the truth or not."

"See?" Kari said, while taking her hand. "He could be serious about wanting you back."

"No he isn't." Sydney insisted.

"He broke up with his girlfriend, for crying out loud!"

"Kari, let's drop it. I don't want to talk about it anymore." Sydney crossed her arms on her chest.

"Sydney, I love you and I want you to be happy. But right now, you are acting like a crazy bitch who is stopping herself from being happy because she is afraid."

Sydney ignored her, but unfortunately, Kari's words had stuck a nerve. Bitterness rose in her throat and she swallowed it hard. Was she a crazy bitch who was stopping herself from being happy because she afraid? Yes, she was, but that was not all. She was frightened, scared and going crazy because she did not think she had suffered enough for hurting him. She did not think she would have him back as easily as he was coming to her. She had expected karma to punish her even more for leaving him. That is why she was scared to go to him. He could be really wanting her back, but the thought that she had not finished paying for her sins, could not let her go back to him.

"Don't turn a blind eye to something good and let him get away from you again." Kari spoke after some time.

Sydney ignored her and continued to look out the window, praying for the car to reach their destination fast, so she would get some fresh air to release her tension. Thankfully, the vehicle pulled to a stop and she quickly opened the door before the chauffeur could unbuckle himself. She was greeted with the breathtaking view of the Eiffel tower. Her eyes bulged as she stared up at the magnificent piece of metal.

"Wow!" Kari gasped from beside her.

"I know right?" She agreed, finally looking away.

There were people, mostly tourists, all around the place. Coffee shops and other stores lined the streets, with painters, photographers, street performers and many more people, all around. Paris was a beautiful place and she was glad to be there.

"Call me when you are ready to go home." The chauffeur spoke to them in his heavily accented voice before starting the car and driving away.

Kari took Sydney's arm and together, they walked the streets, admiring the beautiful things. The purpose for which they had come to Paris was past, but Sydney just wanted to spend a few more days in the city of love before heading home.