24.

Sydney closed her eyes and hoped that everything would be a dream when she opens them. However when she did and he was still standing before her, she knew it was really happening.

 “What?” She gasped, still in a daze by everything that has happened.

“The engagement is over.” He repeated, letting his hand slip away from her.

Her lips parted in shock as she stared at him. “What?” There was a hurricane of emotions swirling inside her. “What do you mean the engagement is over?” She asked, trying to comprehend it.

“That’s it. It’s over and I am not giving you an explanation.” He turned his back to her, but she angrily reached for his arm, forcing him to turn around and face her. With chest rising and falling, she stared daggers at him.

“You will explain to me what all this is!” She raised her voice, throwing her hands in the air. “I want an explanation! Why did you kiss me and then say that the engagement is off?” The festive people were so busy dancing, that they did not notice the quarrel that was about to break.

Tears started swelling in her eyes and she quickly blinked them back. When he remained silent, she let her anger take control and she pushed against his chest, screaming. “Tell me dammit!” Sydney could not believe him! How could a man kiss a woman so passionately and then follow it up with the worst news ever.

 How dare he call off the engagement? They signed a contract for goodness sakes and he could not possibly end it without giving her a reasonable explanation.

 “We can’t continue our act anymore.” He said calmly.

“And why is that?” She asked while wondering to herself if she did something wrong? Was she not fulfilling her part of the deal? She came up with the idea of them living together and the media were eating it all up. She was doing her part and doing it well, but why? Were they not looking real enough?

“Remember what I said about feelings?” He asked to which she gulped. Her gaze fell at her feet and heart skipped a beat. Oh no, she thought, he knows. It had been two days now, since she realized that she was falling in love with him. Afraid that something like this would happen, she had tried to hide her feelings. Oh god, has he noticed it? Was it that obvious?

 “Sydney I am calling off the engagement because there are feelings involved.” Her head came up, the same time a tear slipped out from the corner of her eyes. She had known this would happen if he found out what she felt. “I think…” He stuttered, looking anywhere but at her. Her heart thudded in her chest as she waited for him to gather the courage and continue.

  “I think I am falling in love with you.”

“What?” Her eyes flared in shock as she stared at him. He finally looked at her and her knees almost gave up on her. In his eyes was the softest look she had ever received from him. However, he quickly covered it up with his usual neutral look. It was gone so fast that, she asked herself if she even saw it in the first place.  

Sighing, he repeated himself. “I think I am falling in love with you.” Another tear rolled out of her eyes, but this time it was not from anger.

“You are falling in love with me?” She asked in disbelief, taking a step towards him, watching him intently, with heart banging against her ribcage.

“Yes. That is why we have to stop this now.” He was about to turn and walk away as he always did, but she grabbed his hand in time to stop him.

“But why?” She asked, wanting him to explain himself further.

“Feelings should not be involved remember?” He asked, and she shook her head, wiping her face with her palms.