Prologue.

Maya's POV:

I sat there completely silent with my mind racing with thoughts about my previous action. I couldn't believe what I just done but I knew that it didn't matter how I felt, the important thing is that Riley is happy and she finally got her Prince.

I look over at her and see the biggest smile on her face and the sparkles in her eyes as she looks at Lucas, who lucky for her, shares the same look of admiration. Their hands are intertwined and their bodies are pressed up together with Riley's head laying on his shoulder.

I tear my gaze away from the new happy couple as I watch the fire dancing along the big chunks of wood. Apart of me wishes Lucas was here with me, watching the fire as we talk about the most meaningless topics, only to find a way to mock each other. I knew I shouldn't be thinking this way especially since it was only hours ago when I told my crush to choose my deserving best friend over me.

I can handle the pain of seeing them together, a heartache I know Riley wouldn't be able to take easily.

However, I never lied in saying that I liked Josh, because in reality I do and I always have. But realistically, Josh and I will never happen and I'm completely fine with that, I've gotten used to that realization and that's when I started to fall for Lucas.

My best friend's guy.

I'm such a horrible person.

"Maya? What are you doing over here all alone?" I look up at Farkle as a fake smile takes over my lips.

"Nothing just admiring this fire." I respond casually staring back at the flames as he takes a seat next to me. I can feel him burning a hole at the side of my face with his instense gaze.

"What's wrong Maya?" Farkle asks me as he places his hand on my knee, his attempt of comforting me.

"Nothing is wrong Farkle. A girl can't state into a beautiful fire without being questioned?" He sighs in disappointment not liking my answer to his question. Well that's the only one I'm giving him.

"Maya I've known you since forever and I know when there's something wrong-" Farkle is interrupted by Riley's insanely loud laugh. I look over as she snuggles up to Lucas closer than she was before.

"Maya?..." I snap out of my gaze to look back at Farkle who looks at my knowingly as the realization dawns onto him.

"Maya please tell me you didn't do what I think you did..." I look down at my fingers that are playing with the hem of my shirt as I have no idea what to say.

"Farkle I didn't do anything I didn't think through." I say in all honesty. The look of disappointment is clear on his face but in his eyes, they show almost pity.

"When are you gonna put yourself first? Ever since I knew you, Maya Hart, you always put Riley before yourself not even caring what it would mean for you." I shrug my shoulders at his statment knowing that what he just said isn't wrong.

"She deserves to be happy." I reply simply.

"And you don't?"

"I never said that." Glaring at him, I cross my arms over my chest wanting to end this conversation.

Farkle doesn't understand and I don't think he ever will. Riley is the most positive, happiest and has the biggest heart out of everyone I know. She never knew what it was like to feel pain, real pain and she doesn't need too. Not now at least. So why would I, just some ordinary girl that comes from a broken home and struggles with daddy issues deserve half of the things that she has? I'm her best friend and I want the best for her even if it means sacrificing my happiest for hers.

"Look I have Josh. I had a crush on him for the longest time and now he is just starting to open up towards me." I explain to Farkle not even having to lie about any of the words that just came out of my mouth.

"Maya, Josh is just a fantasy, a dream even but when you wake up you'll see that Lucas is a reality. Who could very likely be yours." Just as I am about to add on to what Farkle just said a voice stops me from doing so.

"Maya do you want to come up and watch a movie?" I look up at the top of the staircase to see Josh standing there with his sparkling eyes and award winning smile that can make any girl swoon.

Completely shocked and taken back by his request I just nod my head foolishly, not really trusting my voice. I get up to follow Josh to his room before saying one last thing to Farkle.

"It's a good thing that I'm a heavy sleeper."

And with that I walk up the stairs not even having a thought about Lucas and Riley.

____________________________________

Don't forget to comment and vote! Love knowing what you guys think :)