Chapter Nine: Girl Meets Confrontation.

Maya's POV:

I barely got any sleep last night. I kept
tossing and turning in my bed as I forced myself to stay awake, not trusting myself not to replay the event that just happened hours ago. Plus, every time I closed my eyes all I can see was his face.

His unforgiving face.

"Maya get up! You're running late for school!" I hear my mom shout from outside my door.

Sighing I sit up and drop my head into my hands. My head is pounding from the numerous thoughts and questions going through my mind, as I know all it wants is a break from the traumatic aftermath that was last night.

What would have happened if that guy never walked in?

How far would James have taken it?

Would I even be here with my innocence in tact if I never fought back?

"Maya why aren't you getting ready? Didn't you hear me telling you to get out of bed?" My mom burst into my bedroom and interrupts up my thoughts.

"I'm not feeling good. Can I please stay home today?" My mother looks at me questionably as she walks over and places her hand on my forehead.

"You aren't even warm. You always claim to be sick to get out of school and I'm not falling for it so easily this year. Now get ready before you're late." And with that she walks out of my room without letting me get another word in.

I groan in annoyance not wanting to have to face anyone at school today. I have no idea how I'm going to get through today without having to really interact with anyone. I get over to my closet and throw on some random oversized hoodie over my black tank top and a pair of comfy leggings.

I'm trying to blend in as much as I possibly can today.

I walk into the washroom and start getting ready for the day I'm already dreading. I couldn't bring myself to have another shower after last night. Right when I came home I took three trying to wash away his touch from my body. But even afterwards I hardly felt any better.

I look up in the mirror completely sadden by my reflection before me. My under eyes are dark and look almost hollow, my skin is pale and my eyes hold emptiness and hurt. Sighing I know there isn't much to do to fix up my look. So instead of doing my everyday makeup, I just colour correct and apply concealer to my under eyes. I attempted to put my messy hair in a messy bun however, once I did that my extremely dark and noticeable hickey right on the side of my neck comes into view.

The hickey is almost as dark as the bruises around my wrist.

I groan in annoyance knowing now I'm going to have to tame my wild hair for the day. Once that is done I grab everything I need for school and I hurry out the door before I give my mom another chance of scolding me.

Once I finally arrive at school I realize that the hallways are empty and there's not a single soul at a locker. Am I really that late? Without giving it a further thought, I rush to my locker and I grab what I'm going to need for my first period class.

As I start walking to my history course, I notice someone walking with their head down and their hood hiding most of their face. Just by the sweater he is wearing I can already tell who it is. Even though the hood is hiding some of his face I am still able to see the intense look taking over his features. His lips are pressed in a thin line and his eyes are closed tightly as if he wants to forget a thought or a memory.

I snap myself out of my trance and I continue walking to class. However, as I'm walking past him his hand grabs ahold of my forearm stopping me in my tracks. How did he even know I was here?