Chapter Five: Girl Meets A Sticky Situation.

Maya's POV:

It's been almost twenty four hours since I've last spoken to Lucas. When he asked me to explain the picture with me, Josh and the twins I had no idea what to say. I was stumped. I was speechless. I froze and for some reason, no matter how hard I tried I couldn't get any words to leave past my lips.

However, I was saved by the bell. I practically ran away from Lucas when I heard the bell indicating that lunch was over. Ever since then I have been avoiding him. Whenever he would approach me I'd wouldn't even give him the chance to say a word to me before I'd walk away. By avoiding Lucas, it meant I had to avoid the entire group, which isn't as hard for me to do because I've already been stepping back for months now.

Lunch was going to start any minute now and that's going to be the hardest time for me to avoid Lucas.

Mr. Matthew's is up in front of the class talking about something that at this moment I don't deem as important. So I'm sitting at my desk with my arm supporting my head as I go on to daydream about everything and anything other than history class.

Seconds later I am interrupted from my thoughts by the bell ringing, indicating the end of class and the start of lunch. Everyone hurries out of the class and I am the last one here still gathering my things. The next thing I know the door slams which causes me to jump not expecting that sudden and loud noise. I look up to see Ranger Rick at the door with his arms crossed in front of his chest sending me a look I cannot decipher.

"What do you think you're doing Sundance?" I ask him in a bored tone as I hold my books against my chest.

"This is the only way I can get you to speak to me." He says before taking a few steps over to me.

"That is not true. Now I think we should get going because the others will be wondering where we are." I tell Lucas walking towards the door but he does the same.

I make it to the door and open it, only to have a strong hand push it closed. Lucas looks at me, his green orbs showing frustration and desperation for my attempt of escape. Lucas and I are only inches apart from each other and I don't think that he even notices.

"You aren't leaving. Not until I get my answers." He almost growls not even trying to hide his irritation.

"I don't owe you anything Huckleberry. And I don't know why you think that I do." I say honestly knowing damn well that I out of everyone owe him the least of all.

"You are so goddamn stubborn."

"Yea I am, and you should know that by now I'm not going to tell you anything for the simple fact that I don't want to and nor do I have to. I suggest that we both leave and forget about this so we can have time to enjoy our lunch." I place my hand on the doorknob attempting to open it but Lucas grabs a hold of my wrist pins me up against the wall.

I stare at him completely shocked by his sudden action and his boldness. We are even closer then we are before and I can feel the warm air exhaling out of his nose hit the up top of my upper lip.

"When are you going to get it through your thick head that I'm here for you Maya. I wasn't bullshitting yesterday when I said what I told you. Let me be there for you." For some reason it's like I'm finally hearing what it is he is saying.

Do I trust that he means every word he is saying? Of course I do. However, do I think this is going to last? Will Lucas from now on always be like this when it comes to me? Of course not.

Whenever Hopalong finds his next project or problem I'll be forgotten and everything will go back to how it has been for months now.

It will be the same thing happening all over again.